walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taigh Thormoid Dhuibh

Taigh Thormoid Dhuibh

Postby Yorjick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Date walked: 12/07/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 592m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was an overnight bothy trip involving a 6km hike, including carrying water. After a dry spell, water is difficult to find bar the leech infested Lochan gun Ghrund! On the Friday morning, I continued to follow the path to the northern tip of the island before walking back out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Many years ago, Graham, my climbing partner, told me that Raasay was worth a visit. With a lack of big hills, I paid it little attention :thumbdown: . However, I was aware of the bothy, and thought it worth checking out. An island always has added appeal - something to do with having to cross water to get to it! Seeing the ferry approaching Sconser elevated my level of excitement.

IMGP0829_resize.JPG

IMGP0831_resize.JPG

Looking towards The Storr:

IMGP0853_resize.JPG

Taigh Dhormoid Dhuibh is a the far northern end of Raasay. This means driving along Calum's Road which was constructed by just one man with a wheelbarrow, pick-axe and shovel. He upgraded the pre-existing narrow path in an attempt to preserve the community at Arnish. It took him ten years, by which time, only his own family remained, all the other families having left. He was awarded a British Empire Medal for his efforts :clap: . Some have to work harder than others for their honours!

IMGP0867_resize.JPG

IMGP0869_resize.JPG

There are a number of unusual road signs on the island, including one to the North Pole! I am open to suggestions as to what this means - something to do with flying pigs, presumably! :?:

IMGP0871_resize.JPG

Parking the car at Arnish, the route follows what is initially a track and continues along what are generally good paths. The junctions are signposted. Perhaps I will visit Fladda next time?

IMGP0878_resize.JPG

I hear that some have had difficulty finding the bothy as it is a little off the track. I can understand this if approaching in the dark or thick mist. I have heard of one man spending a damp night in the ruin to the south, with most of its roof collapsed, while others enjoyed a warm fire a little further north! :crazy:

IMGP0884_resize.JPG

IMGP0889_resize.JPG

IMGP0892_resize.JPG

The warm weather did not really call for a fire, but it is part of the bothy experience and it is always nice to have a bit of a fire, even if only for a couple of hours. I felt a bit guilty about using two-thirds of the wood that was there :oops: but I did leave a load of wood and coal at my previous bothy (Abyssinia) :angel: .

IMGP0898_resize.JPG

The next morning, I decided to follow the path to the tip of the island where there is a narrow channel between Raasay and Eilean Tigh. I passed this small shingle beach on the way:

IMGP0899_resize.JPG

The return to Arnish was every bit as enjoyable as the outward walk, with fine views all round but I had half an eye on Dun Caan....See the next walk report!

IMGP0912_resize.JPG
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Taigh Thormoid Dhuibh

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Wow, what a place. I'd not come across this bothy, now its WAY up the list. Thanks for sharing what looks like a great wander.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 am

Great bothy, isn't it? I wish I'd checked exactly where it was before walking out to it! I had looked in the past, but couldn't remember the details. Obviously it wasn't too hard to find in the end, although slightly further on than I expected.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Yorjick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Wow, what a place. I'd not come across this bothy, now its WAY up the list. Thanks for sharing what looks like a great wander.

Best going in a group of 2-4 so that you can carry a reasonable amount of fuel, especially if visiting during cooler, wetter weather.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland