walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dun Caan

Dun Caan

Postby Yorjick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 am

Route description: Dùn Caan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dun Caan (Raasay)

Date walked: 13/07/2018

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5.8 km

Ascent: 360m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I never really set out to do this hill. I was playing things by ear. I did get a great view of it during the walkout from Taigh Thormoid Dhuibh....

IMGP0912_resize.JPG

.... but I did not really make up my mind until I was eating lunch in the car at the car park at the start of the walk. I knew that some walkhighlanders were heading for Dun Caan that day and, while I did not know their planned route, the added hope of meeting up with them gave me the extra incentive. I am so glad I went for it as Dun Caan is a fine walk on good paths, giving amazing views, especially across to Skye.

IMGP0925_resize.JPG

IMGP0937_resize.jpg

IMGP0940_resize.JPG

IMGP0952_resize.JPG

Coming off the hill, I chatted to a man who said "I know of nowhere else where you can obtain such fine views with so little effort". I can't argue with that! The best views of Skye are from Raasay.

IMGP0967_resize.JPG

On my return to the ferry, I explored the lanes of the southern end of the island and stumbled across Raasay's recently opened distillery. The young gentleman on reception told me that the tours coincide with visitors arriving off the ferry, not waiting to catch the ferry, but he told me that he was bored and would give me a quick personal tour. They only started distilling in 2017 and the spirit has to be at least 3 years old to be called whisky. I look forward to sampling the whisky once released. It the meantime, I was given a miniature of "WHILE WE WAIT".

shop-products-raasay-while-we-wait-5cl-front.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Yorjick on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Dun Caan

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 am

Slightly better weather than we got, and less of a rush for the ferry! It's a spectacular viewpoint though, and I love the layers of lochans at different levels.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Dun Caan

Postby Yorjick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:14 pm

malky_c wrote:Slightly better weather than we got, and less of a rush for the ferry! It's a spectacular viewpoint though, and I love the layers of lochans at different levels.

Too good to miss if on the island anyway!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland