walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lookout

The Lookout

Postby Yorjick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Date walked: 16/07/2018

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 117m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday of the WH Summer meet was an easy day with lunch at the Old Inn in Carbost, a tour of the Talisker Distillery, A walk out to the lighthouse at Neist Point before driving up to the most northerly tip of the island and walking out to The Lookout to spend the night. A car pulled up at the car park just after me. With no other parked cars, I was optimistic of securing a bunk in the bothy. Rather than racing ahead of the Austrian/Belgian young couple, I walked to the bothy with them.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Below: Yours truly, kindly taken by Debbie, named after Debbie Harry!

IMGP1019.JPG

The photo above was taken during a brief break to the wet and windy weather - I am in the lee of the bothy.

​Later, two Czech girls arrived, making things very cozy.

Below: taken the next morning - I am not obsessed with my phone; it was connected to my camera via WiFi and I am using it as a remote control.

IMGP1033.JPG

The direct line through to Bothy HQ! :lol:

IMGP1044.JPG
[

Below: Looking across The Minch towards Harris and Lewis. Couldn't see any whales though!

IMGP1037.JPG

Improving weather - The Lookout seen at its best!

IMGP1070.JPG

It was a very pleasant, easy walk back to the car, an enjoyable late breakfast in Portree and sunny drive back home!

IMGP1081.JPG
Last edited by Yorjick on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: The Lookout

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:32 am

Looks like the weather really picked up towards the latter end of the day. The Lookout looks like a fine place to be.

For my part, I was in rain all the way back as far as Gretna....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: The Lookout

Postby Yorjick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like the weather really picked up towards the latter end of the day. The Lookout looks like a fine place to be.

For my part, I was in rain all the way back as far as Gretna....

Spotless bothy, well worth a visit and near enough to the road to act as a base for walking on the Trotternish Ridge and exploring the northern end of the island.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland