walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Down the local for a couple

Down the local for a couple

Postby Coop » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Eich, Doune Hill

Date walked: 22/07/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 966m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1st time on my "local hills"
Weather was to be a wee bit drizzly on and off and the cloud base about 600/700 and should rise.
Parked at the big hotel in luss ( saved a few quid) over the flylover and up the road.
Good walk to the hoose and over the stile. A large fern field on the way up so I skirted left and round it, then got back on the ridge line.
Beinn Eich is a good looking hill and fairly steep.
Small cairn on top of a hill and no views - cant say much more than that!!
Misty on Beinn Eich then the "wee drizzle" came - and stayed for the next hour and a half!!
Was going to go for the 3rd Graham option- pointless today in this mist and rain
Good walk along to Doune hill and a good hillwalk overall. On up to the trig and I took my time route finding from Doune hill down. The map only really shows one major gulley but in the mist and with a few wee hillicks dotted about, it looked like more
.Couldn't really see a thing but got well north of the gulley and traversed round a bit before getting down to luss water.
Eventually picked up a half decent path which led down to the road. Bumped into an old fella who was just out reminiscing about his old walking and cycling days. Walked slowly with him and had a natter and set the world to rights on the way to luss.
Nearly 1000m of ascent and a decent walk. ( shame about the views though). Pathless descent and no one else on the hill apart from one runner who started at the farm went up beinn Eich then Doune hill and back! Theres a lot to be said for our 'smaller" hills.

Thought I'd "ease" myself back into it after a few minor injuries a couple of weeks ago. Things look ok so Torridon next month

I think I'll be on some of these local hills again come the winter

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland