walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My First Corbett: Sgurr an Airgid

My First Corbett: Sgurr an Airgid

Postby MunroMad » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Route description: Sgùrr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Date walked: 10/11/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 840m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first Corbett, done on a very sunny day in Kintail.

I started at around 1050 just off the road to Morvich, after the turn up to the farms at Ruarach. The path up Sgurr an Airgid starts a bit further up Strath Croe near Lienassie, however there are turnstiles along the side of the road opposite the Ruarach farm where a short walk up to the foot of the mountain is needed. By a stream, a tree signals the merge with the actual path. This short wander takes you through a Bull field so becareful!! It might also be a tad boggy.

The path up is steep, in some places no wider than 2-3 feet, clinging to the eastern flanks of Sgurr an Airgid. The steep path continues up above the first bit, where it levels at around 250/300m, where you cross a deer fence. The path continues, always zigzagging in the direction of Beinn Bhuidhe (703m). You eventually are taken up to the flat plateau at the top of the gill. Wham bam thank you mam! Mam na Dubharaiche is a sight for sore eyes, the cairn at the top marks easy travels along flat terrain, although one later finds out that it is an inhospitable area of peat bog. Lucky for me, the freeze the night before was significant to freeze the bog field allowing for easy passage. The paths up here are visible, but can, at times, be confusing. The path up to the summit can easily be seen as a scar of scree, with a well trodden path going up one of the flanks of the remaining bulk, up the side of a wee lee. From the top the summit is seen after traversing two rocky clumps of scree.

The views are amazing, and well worth the trip, views extend from Wester Ross and the mountains of Torridon, to the Cullins in Skye, Ben Nevis is visible above the five sisters of Kintail. It is well worth the walk.

The descent is the same as the ascent. An hour from the beginning gets you to the bealach, another 45 mins or so gets you to the top. An hour and 15 mins descent. All this can easily be accomplished in 3 hours should one desire.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_8205.JPG
IMG_8215.JPG
Going up!
IMG_8216.JPG
IMG_8217.JPG
IMG_8218.JPG
view to the summit and paths showing the route from the bealach
IMG_8222.JPG
View at the mam
IMG_8320.JPG
View up the scree to the top
IMG_8239.JPG
view to the bealach and Beinn Bhuidhe
IMG_8243.JPG
view towards Torridon
IMG_8253.JPG
Nevis
IMG_8275.JPG
View to Skye
IMG_8277.JPG
The trig point and Kintails
IMG_8303.JPG
Kintails from 820m
IMG_8312.JPG
Nice coire towards the north
IMG_8316.JPG
View towards the NE coming down the scree to the Mam
IMG_8325.JPG
Gleann Lichd
IMG_8337.JPG
Almost down!
MunroMad
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:35   

Re: My First Corbett: Sgurr an Airgid

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 pm

One down...... :D

Love the pics 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:18 pm

The views from there are truly great aren't they! :D Keep meaning to do this one on a day off from Munroing...
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Cracking choice for Corbett No 1

Keep up the good work :D
kinley

Postby blueyed » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:44 pm

pics are great!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Fantastic photos! :D It's a nice hill to start with. I did it this year in early spring and yes, the views are to die for...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Another great day out on one of the Kintail Corbetts :D
I also really enjoyed this one, although I had to do it fairly fast to get back down before dark.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland