walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

King's Seat - a Saturday stroll in the western Sidlaws

King's Seat - a Saturday stroll in the western Sidlaws

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Route description: Dunsinane and King's Seat, Collace

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: King's Seat

Date walked: 13/11/2010

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 340m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd had a mind to do this walk for quite some time now as it's pretty much on the doorstep. My colleague and good friend skyepilot2 does this as his local dog walk as it's even more on his doorstep than mine and I've heard him commend it many times. So, with no major plans this weekend and the weather forecast borderline acceptable, I set off on Saturday afternoon with my wife and the dog in tow to investigate for myself.

We drove out through Scone to Balbeggie where we branched off onto the back road which loops around through such exotic backwaters as Rait and Kilspindie before emerging somewhere out onto the A90 Perth to Dundee road. 10 minutes later we were taking the left turn at the signpost for Collace before passing the working quarry and pulling into the roadside parking area by the gate and the information board just before entering the village of Collace itself.

There are several signs on and around the gate saying "No dogs" - skyepilot had mentioned this and also the fact that he pays them scant regard. We also paid them no attention and at 12.20pm and we were heading past the offending signs and up the steep grassy hillside past the forestry plantation and onto the muddy path which weaves it's way through the heather and bracken up onto the site of the ancient iron-age fort on Dunsinane Hill.

The first thing that strikes you when you reach the top of Dunsinane Hill is the view eastwards along the Tay towards Dundee, with the rail and road bridges both standing out on the water. Elsewhere, the views are a little limited by the low cloud but the mountains of the Mounth are visible to the north with their white coats on.

From the old fort, it's a steep drop off to the east into the deep bealach below the crags of Black Hill. A faint, rocky path leads to the left of the crags and up onto the heathery ridge, which then meanders across various little summits and dips before dropping down and skirting a wide area of reed marsh before finally climbing up onto the summit of King's Seat, whose bright white painted trig pillar had stood out like a beacon all the way along the ridge.

The wind was getting up now and it was speckled with rain, so after a quick mug of hot juice and a few marshmallows we dropped west off the summit onto the lower ground to the north of the ridge and headed back towards the corner of the forestry above where the car was parked. In hindsight, it may have been better to simply retrace our steps on the way back, as it was a real old bog trot in many places.

We enjoyed this walk. It's ideal for a short November afternoon. We took our time as well, setting a very leisurely pace. I'm sure it could probably be done in little over an hour and a half if you were really going for it and the bogs had abated a bit.

IMG_5446.JPG
Start near Collace

IMG_5447.JPG
Looking back down on the rolling Perthshire countryside

IMG_5448.JPG
First view of a distant King's Seat

IMG_5450.JPG
Approaching the summit of Dunsinane Hill

IMG_5451.JPG
Summit cairn on Dunsinane Hill - crags of Black Hill and the Tay beyond in the background

IMG_5454.JPG
Looking north over wide open country

IMG_5455.JPG
Ditches and ramparts of the old fort clearly visible in the ground

IMG_5456.JPG
Crags of Black Hill from Dunsinane Hill

IMG_5457.JPG
Steep descent ahead

IMG_5458.JPG
Into the valley

IMG_5459.JPG
On Black Hill looking back to Dunsinane Hill

IMG_5462.JPG
East towards King's Seat

IMG_5463.JPG
Lucy goes marsh wading

IMG_5465.JPG
Hot juice at the trig point

IMG_5467.JPG
View west from the summit

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: King's Seat - a Saturday stroll in the western Sidlaws

Postby malky_c » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Nice little hill this - good to see a report. Have done it previously from a point near Balloleys farm. That happened to be convenient as I'd cycled over from Dundee. Looks like you get a much more comprehensive traverse from your starting point - including Dunsinane Hill :)

Some other lumps and bumps in there between Kings Seat and the Coupar Angus road that look worth exploring. Never got round to them though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby michelle1504 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Ok so I know that this post was a long time ago....but can you remember if there was an established track on this walk?

I'm in Dundee and looking for a nice walk not too far from here to take advantage of this gorgeous weather that we have! Although I'm new to hillwalking and would rather do walks with tracks so that I know where I'm going! I have visions of me wandering aimlessly in the hills of god knows where, lost and not a clue where I am!
michelle1504

Munros:1   

Postby helenw » Sun May 20, 2018 11:42 am

Michelle - the route description and photos in the reports should help - summary states, "Grassy hill path on climb up to Dunsinane, then rougher going on intermittent paths with some sections across deep heather." so some navigation would be needed higher up. Enjoy it.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby PeteR » Sun May 20, 2018 11:32 pm

helenw wrote:Michelle - the route description and photos in the reports should help - summary states, "Grassy hill path on climb up to Dunsinane, then rougher going on intermittent paths with some sections across deep heather." so some navigation would be needed higher up. Enjoy it.

I can vouch for the "rougher going on intermittent paths" :lol: I performed a vague interpretation of the WH route a couple of weekends ago. It's a relatively short route though, so the rough stuff didn't last that long
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland