walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inverlael w/e

Inverlael w/e

Postby Benaden887 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn an Eoin, Ben Mór Coigach, Meall Doire Faid, Sgùrr an Fhidhleir

Date walked: 20/07/2018

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 23.3 km

Ascent: 2280m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Forest way b/h @ Inverlael, saw 5 members from the KMC meet last w/e. I`m here to add to my Grahams list, while the plan of the A team, is to climb “the four Deargs”.
Raining as I leave home, to briefly clear as I cross the Kessock bridge.
Some eight weeks since my last outing, so I’m looking for a taster before committing to a longer day. Meall a` Doire Faidh, @ Braemore jctn. Fits the bill. I crossed its ridge last year, starting from the wee forest at NH 229765 - now plan a more direct climb from the Braemore cp. Park beside a couple doing Beinn Enaiglair, gear up and follow them SE past forestry clearance, then N thro a gate to open hillside. A wet path wends uphill as mist sweeps in bringing rain. I pull on waterproofs that hav`nt been reproofed since I got them. It shows as after a time as the rain soaks thro. Leaving the path, I take a direct line and head up. Wet grass, heather and rock tiers as I climb in the mist. It turns into a slog but eventually I reach easier ground and spot the cairn in just over an hour. No views, so W down steeper ground to find the inward path and a return to the car. Change my wet clothes, and then drive for the bunkhouse for a shower and hot meal.
Meall a` Doire Faid 5.3km. 560m. 2.20h 20/07/2018

Sgurr an Fhidleir, Ben More Coigach and Beinn an Eion. 18 km 1720m 8.30h 21/07/2018

An early start finds me by 0620 on the single-track road into Coigach. Rather than a long drive to Culnacraig, I opt for this eastern approach. My parking place is taken by a massive camper van, but I can offroad some 200m downhill @NC145060. A stunning viewpoint for the hills I`m going to do. Gear up for heather, trees and deer fence, while the long wet grass hides ditches and holes dug for tree planting. The weather is clear at the moment I can see the rising prow of the Fhidler and Eion – awesome. The going is tough and cloud rolling in, now obscures my views - rising ground to my left is somewhat drier. I spark a browsing stag and follow his line uphill into the clag. The steep slopes of Beinn Tarsuin are rock and heather strewn until I reach level ground. Wet mist swirls about me as I check map and compass. SW bearing finds a small rocky outcrop in the mist. Altimeter chk confirms Tarsuin, 800m pacing finds the drop to a 470m col, here I meet the deer fence again. Now below the clag, N I can see lochan Tuath with more lochans beyond, S a sweep of the Rhidorroch forest. A path leads to here and up as I cross the fence and climb on it, – yeah. The 220m climb proves harder in the wet. A broad rock filled gully leads up to a plateau area where I take a break and review my options. Less confident about navigation in mist, I decided to follow the crag rim N down to the col with a short climb to the Fhidhlers cairn. Unreal standing here, over a massive drop with a white mist flowing over me, and seeing nought. Disappointed, I return to the col for a map check. A compass bearing heads due S for 800mtr, across the basin, then up to find the walled cairn of Ben Mor Coigach. Another break here, not how Id wanted to do this pairing, seeing nought, but then there’s aye another day. The sun is up there, trying to break thro. I wait for 20min. but its a no show. So pack my gear, ENE gives a return to the gully and a drop to the fence ladder. About 600m mark, suddenly I`m below cloud and can see N a clear Beinn an Eion. I sit weighing up the chances of it clearing up top, then cross and climb onto Tarsuinn. Northwards Eion says come and get me, so I do. Down into the glen cross by the wee lochans, the going wet and boggy, gains the far side and a heather climb thro three rock lines finds the top of Eion. Clear views all round. The higher peaks - Coigach, the Fhidhler, Cul mor and Beg still have tops in clag, Stac polly is in and out. A wee break, then walk out to Sgorr Deas. I hadn`t intended to climb Eion today – saving it and Polly as a nice rockclimbing double, but I was so peed off weather wise, that I really needed to get some pleasure out of the day. I cut back SE dropping to the Allt Claonaidh for a look at the ravine everyone was raving about. Yep, worthwhile and so the road and then car. My thanks to all those who`s imput re the WH site made life easier. Seen enroute – A guy walking up Eion, birds frogs butterflies, eagles and sheep on Coigach..
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland