walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BnB in Glencoe

BnB in Glencoe

Postby U059361 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 25/07/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1350m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked pretty much as described in WH, took the lower route across the stream rather than go up the last waterfall, everyone else did the latter and cut up and round Stob Coire an Lochan missing out the buttresses altogether. A great pity as I had a grand view below them then great views down them climbing up the hill. The other way looked pretty boring by comparison and I beat everyone ahead of me to the top. It clouded over before going over to Bidean nam Bian (BnB) but it kept me cool going to the top, which is easier than it looked right enough. I carried on over to Stob Coire nam Beith for the uninterrupted view over to Beinn a' Bheithir and Loch Leven and Loch Achtriochtan in Glen Coe.Once back over to BnB I then carried on to Stob Coire Sgreamhach. I had my lunch on its lower slope beyond Bealach Dearg in a bit of shelter before leaving my rucksack and heading up to the top.More photos and then back down, collected my bag and headed for the drop down from Bealach Dearg. After a short scramble down I found the boulder steps to the left and descended quickly. It is a rough path back to the Lost Valley and it seemed to take ages. Across the valley floor and up and out of the Lost Valley I was glad to get a glimpse of the main road, meant I was getting back to the car park.I had walked back pretty quickly. A can of Irn Bru at the car for rehydration.
ImageCoire nan Lochan waterfalls by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCoire nan Lochan climb by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coire nan Lochan with buttresses by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBideam nam Bian to Loch Leven by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageButtress view of Glen Coe by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageButtress drop by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coire nan Lochan buttresses from top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coire nan Lochan view back to car park by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBidean nam Bian from Stob Coire nan Lochan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coire nan Lochan from Bidean Nam Bian by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageView from Stob Coire nam Beith by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBidean nam Bian from Stob Coire nam Beith by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coire Sgreamhach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGlen Etive from Stob Coire Sgreamhach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLost valley from Stob Coire Sgreamhach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBidean nam Bian from Stob Coire Sgreamhach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Bird-watcher

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Re: BnB in Glencoe

Postby Stefan1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Oooh, lovely!

I had to abort this rout a couple of years ago due to unbelievably slippery (ok... believably actaully... but I wanted to empasise it) ice! Sadly never made it back. Your photos make me rather want to!
Stefan1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland