walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn Dorback complete isolation

Geal Charn Dorback complete isolation

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Route description: Geal Charn, from Dorback Lodge near Nethy Bridge

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal Charn (Dorback)

Date walked: 24/07/2018

Time taken: 3.24 hours

Distance: 13.61 km

Ascent: 546m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

GC.jpg

Side view of summit area
After yesterday's tourist hill I wanted isolation and I got it. A small stop in Nethy Bridge to check the map, yes I had overshot by a little bit and missed the turn. Back on the right road and 8 miles later at the parking area just before Dorback Lodge. There is a sign indicating no parking, a turning area, it is very big, but being a good boy I parked on a nearby dirt area, room for 1 car. As I got my boots on an estate jeep came flying up, zoomed round the turning area and sped back down the road. Was he checking if I had parked in the no go zone?
I followed the WH route, anti clockwise, so no route map posted.
low water.jpg

No water hazard today
Through the gate on the right and get a good view of the hill and the open moorland terrain ahead, no German tourists here today I suspect.
I crossed the first water hazard, the Dorback burn, no danger today although the water course shows how high and wide it can get.
There is a faint track to the ruined farm, Upper Dell, on which I was bombed by black headed gulls whose nests must be close by.
Now heading out over the moor but there is a good track to follow, passing the small hut and the lochan before crossing another burn, again just a step over. You have lost any height gained but continue on the path for a short while.
IMG_8208.JPG

Turn right here
A small stack of stones on your right is the point to go onto the moor proper. There is a faint track on and off to give some guidance. In fairness the going was a lot easier than I anticipated but it is a mixture of grass and heather with boggy areas. Plenty of grouse springing today, all at the last minute to get the heart rate even higher.
IMG_8211.JPG

1st cairn
My final route up to the first cairn, not the top, was probably a dried water course but still easier to walk on than the moor.
The views are now opening up with Meall a’Bhuachaille the first to show. Then Cairngorm covered in cloud but Bynack More is clear.
cairn cg.jpg

Looking to Cairngorms
Good going now as the posts of an old fence line are a guide to the top, the cairn appearing over the crest and then the summit is reached, 1 hour 40m.
Ben Avon.jpg

Ben Avon
I am really glad that I did this as the views are once again superb. A truly remote hill, a real feeling of isolation and not another person seen apart from the parking area. This is another stand alone hill so a full panorama, due south the tors of Ben Avon are impressive. Yesterdays hill, Ben Rinnes is cloud free. Such panoramic views are what it is all about.
clouds.jpg

Thunder clouds coming my way
I was enjoying the view as the silence and solitude which was rudely broken when claps of thunder, very loud indeed, came from that Cairngorm stuff. The clouds had spread and were heading my way so off the hill I went.
descent.jpg

Scarred track can be seen via rough terrain
My descent headed initially along the ridge and then veered left heading down towards the huge scar of the estate track. There is no correct route, pathless moorland, steeper than the ascent and wetter, this side holding moisture from recent rain. Twisted an ankle in a deep hole so care taken. Still rough moorland. Some red deer hinds scarper, must have heard me curse.
Near the bottom an estate ATV marks takes you to the track past the grouse butts, a dead/shot hare lying here.
sand.jpg

Sandy past
Now the track back which did seem like a long trudge. Although interestingly geology at one land side the sandy terrain is so evident, a reminder of our islands attachment to Africa many moons ago. More sand than in the bunkers of my golf course.
Some of the buildings near the lodge are occupied although sadly the main lodge is still a ruin.
IMG_8227.JPG

Grouse beater
Finally, I did have a laugh at the ‘grouse beater’ outside the lodge, I did say that it was remote out here!!
For the views and solitude this was well worth it.
Wildlife: Grouse, pheasant, golden plover, raven, red deer, kestrel with young.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Geal Charn Dorback complete isolation

Postby gld73 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm

I did this hill today, needed a quick half-day one to do somewhere near Grantown before the forecast heavy rain came in from the south west in the afternoon. Doing the river crossing with dry feet was still easy despite heavy rain the last 2 nights, so that was good. The Cairngorm munros were in cloud and rain by the time I was on the summit plateau, but it did look like there would be good views all round from Geal Charn on a clear day. Like you, I didn't see a soul throughout the walk, though plenty bird life.

It's just a shame a lot of people will (like me!) do this hill when it's not a clear day, because it's a nice quick corbett to do, and there are more famous and challenging mountains in the area to get done when the weather is clear!!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Geal Charn Dorback complete isolation

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Good point you make. I try to choose my hills mainly on views but this was a choice based on where I was staying and after Rinnes the day before a non tourist hill was the other factor. Hopefully you will get back to it on a clear day and enjoy the outlook.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland