walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Criffel, one very wet hill

Criffel, one very wet hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:16 pm

Route description: Criffel by the Ardwall path

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Criffel

Date walked: 30/09/2017

Distance: 5.18 km

Ascent: 508m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was in the Borders and though this would be the perfect time to climb this Sub2, just South of Dumfries. After a prolonged wet spell I was expecting some water on the hill but nothing quite as much as I found on the upper slopes. It was a bit of a quagmire to say the least. It started off so well on a well established track then path.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1a.jpg
The car Parking area at the start of the walk
2a.jpg
Cross the track and pass through this gate then take the gate on your right which takes you towards Criffel
4a.jpg
Looking back down the path
5a.jpg
Looking back down the path higher up, dry underfoot at this stage
6a.jpg
Continue on the main path and disregard this footbridge on your right
7a.jpg
Pass through this gate onto the open hillside, this is where you the very heavy underfoot conditions start
8a.jpg
Looking ahead through the deep heather on the hillside
9a.jpg
more deep heather with covered drainage ditches so take care
11a.jpg
Nearing the summit looking back
12a.jpg
At the summit Trig point
13a.jpg
At the summit trig point looking towards the large summit cairn. To return retrace your steps.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Criffel, one very wet hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi Rod

Good to see a report from you.

Looks like quite a popular wee hill (at the top).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Criffel, one very wet hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi Gordie 12, your still looking at reports then 😁My first report since September last year, have been having problems getting used to IT technology, PC was past its best do got a lap top and couldn't for the life of me get used to the new format :lol:
Aye do this one after a dry spell not like I did after a prolonged wet spell. I tried to find a better way back from the summit, don't bother, it's just the same if not worse, just retreat your steps as suggested in the report.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland