walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhan

Beinn Bhan

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhan, near Kishorn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan

Date walked: 10/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We did this hill over a month ago, in fantastic weather conditions. After visiting my parents in September I was eager to move from mountains of food (my mum doesn't believe in small portions) to something more inspiring :) Applecross hills were on my to-do list and even though it was a long-ish drive, my husband was more than happy to test his new car.

We started from the bridge over the River Kishorn. The ridge of Beinn Bhan is 8 km long and we assumed that to get the best view of its corries would be to walk along the bottom of the hill first, instead of climbing straight to the top.
beinn bhan 002.JPG
The eastern corries of Beinn Bhan

There is a good path all the way to the small loch (Loch Gaineamhach), but as we continued walking along, the path disappeared and the ground became a bit boggy...
beinn bhan 024.JPG
Loch Gaineamhach

Again, we passed the most recommended ascent by Coire an Fhamair (at least it is supposed to be the easiest way - in my humble opinion, this hill is painfully steep no matter how you approach it). After jumping over some small streams and manouvering among puddles I said enough - and headed straight up the unfriendly-looking wall.
20101010133441_0001.jpg
Up we go :)

20101010133545_0001.jpg

beinn bhan 047.JPG
Half way up the hill

It actually looks worse than it is. There were a few moments of easy scrambling, but nothing really difficult if you picked your way carefully. When we took a short break half way up, what we saw was the best reward for our sweat and sore muscles :D
beinn bhan 031.JPG
Looking north...

beinn bhan 038.JPG
Torridon from the distance

Eventually we reached the top of the ridge. I sat down on a rock, feeling every single calorie from my mum's steaks and cheesecakes burning away...
beinn bhan 068.JPG
Resting on the top of the ridge

Walking to the main top of Beinn Bhan was now a piece of cake and the breathtaking views down to Coire na Poite were the icing on it :D Such a shame about the shadows as the sun was already on the western side...
beinn bhan 100.JPG

beinn bhan 128.JPG

The return route is easy compare to the ascent one, with some more splendid views of the rocky cliffs at first, then down the wide slopes facing the beautiful panorama of Loch Kishorn:
beinn bhan 125.JPG
Loch Kishorn (in the distance) and Loch Coire nan Arr (to the right)

Once we got back to the parking, my husband ran to check if his beloved four wheels haven't been scratched or "decorated" by seagulls... Car-madness. That's the one thing I wll never understand about men...

To sum up, it was a lovely walk. Highly recommended, not only for crazy cats :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BlackPanther on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Beinn Bhan

Postby rockhopper » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Nice report and some fine pictures there bp :D

BlackPanther wrote:he breathtaking views down to Coire na Poite were the icing on it Such a shame about the shadows as the sun was already on the western side.

sometimes as in your photo the shadows can make it look more menacing and steep 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Brilliant hill - looking over from the Torridon mountains, it doesn't look that exciting, but the corries on the east side are some of the most spectacular in the country 8)

Need to go back here in better weather and explore a bit more :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:24 am

Great report and pics! :D I'd definitely agree that the way to do that one is to go underneath first and admire all the corries (not that I've done it yet!). Hope I get on okay with that very steep looking ascent - I don't mind from an effort point of view, just whether I think it looks 'orrid when I look back down part-way up! :o
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland