walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scottish National Trail - Kirk Yetholm to Harestanes

Scottish National Trail - Kirk Yetholm to Harestanes

Postby andrewl7642 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Route description: Kirk Yetholm to Harestanes

Date walked: 06/06/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 515m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Scottish National Trail is a challenging, 864 kilometre-long unofficial long distance walking route running the length of Scotland from Kirk Yetholm to Cape Wrath.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Please watch the video for full coverage of this section.

Early June, 2018, I took a few days out to complete the first 4 stages of the Scottish National Trail between Kirk Yetholm and Peebles. However, I actually started from Berwick-on-Tweed, after catching the Penzance cross country train over from Glasgow Central. On the first day, after my arrival at Berwick I walked a section the Northumberland Coastal path as far as Lindisfarne causeway where the St. Cuthberts Way begins. I followed the St. Cuthberts Way to Cuthberts Cave where I spent my first night.

IMG_0050.JPG
Cuthberts Cave

Day 2, I continued on the St. Cuthberts Way to eventually reach Kirk Yetholm, the official start of the Scottish National Trail. I arrived quite late, it was just before 10pm that I finally had the tent pitched up by the river Bowmont on the edge of Town Yetholm... and I still had dinner to have before nodding off to sleepland.

IMG_0077.JPG
Bowmont Water. Town Yetholm

Day 3
I packed up bright and early and headed back into Yetholm Village to take a few pictures and some video footage before setting off towards Harestanes, along the St Cuthberts Way. Around 6pm I found a good camping spot, about 5 miles short of Harestanes. I made the best decision to pitch here as there was a water source and a couple of benches, and trees shading me from the sweltering sun, also it was very peaceful.

IMG_0169.JPG
Peaceful wild camping in the country.

Day 4
I make my way to Harestanes Visitor Centre for a refreshment before continuing on the trail towards Melrose (see next page)

Next section: Harestanes to Melrose
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83113
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland