walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP - bridge at north end of Loch Ordie

CCP - bridge at north end of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Date walked: 30/07/2018

Time taken: 2.8 hours

Distance: 18.7 km

Ascent: 253m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm not getting out and doing enough walking this year. Luckily, I'm quite happy to work out on the exercise bike most days so hopefully I'm keeping reasonably fit.

Today the weather was better than the forecast so I headed up to Dunkeld for a 10:30am start. The sun was shining as I got the approach shoes on in the car park so it looked like it would be a good morning.

Five minutes up the track the skies darkened and the heavens opened and boy did it heave down.

I reached Mill Dam in a very respectable 32 mins and Raor Lodge in 53:32 and at half way and my final checkpoint I was at the bridge at the far end of Loch Ordie in 01:26 which is PB territory for me. Last week I got home in 01:23, the same time today and I could break 02:50 for the first time.

A quick chocolate stop (that's all the xmas chocloate now consumed) and I was off back down the track. I tried to keep a good pace going without going flat out and knackering myself and reached the boathouse at Mill Dam in 02:18 - now I'm in business and the record is on.

I pushed as hard as I could for the last leg and finished with a time of 02:48, a new PB for this distance and a complete shock as I am approaching a stone heavier that this time last year when I did 02:50.

I'm glad I made the effort to get out today and the weather did improve as the walk wore on.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland