walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When even Dubhcraig bogs dry out

When even Dubhcraig bogs dry out

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 07/07/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1238m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over the years, the bogs of Beinn Dubhchraig have gained a bad reputation in the hillwalking society. The route up Coire Dubhchraig is so notorious that earlier this year, I was looking for alternative means of ascent for the duo of Munros in question. But in the end, we were blessed (or cursed, depends on your point of view) with such a dry summer, that I expected even the Dubhchraig bogs will be crossable - and I was right. So in the end we did Oss & Dubhchraig the usual way, no fireworks and no great surprises, apart from the fact that the path up the corrie was mostly dry.

Track_BEN OSS 07-07-1804.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was a sunny, hot Saturday morning, when we set off from the Dalrigh car park. There were walkers both in front and behind us, someone overtook us when we stopped for a few photos on the bridge over River Cononish, we saw long "processions" of people walking the WHW. Half past nine and it was already boiling hot, so unusual for Scotland :wink:
Ready fro adventures:
2018-07-07 ben oss 003.JPG

River Cononish from the bridge:
2018-07-07 ben oss 002.JPG

The early morning panorama from the track along the railway to Tyndrum Corbetts and Beinn Dorain (far left):
2018-07-07 ben oss 012.JPG

We crossed the railway and almost missed the small cairn marking the path to the new footbridge. This short section would be a real quagmire in wet weather, but now it was just a bit damp :lol:
On the footbridge:
2018-07-07 ben oss 014.JPG

We remembered all ghastly stories about the path along Allt Coire Dubhchraig, the "you'll never forget this experience" kind of stories, so we expected bogfeast, but... we got a dry-ish path instead!
2018-07-07 ben oss 017.JPG

I said dry-ish simply because every five or ten minutes we would have to cross a short, wet stretch. But overall, the path was easy going. Some high bracken along the way but nothing worth carrying a machete :lol: And the forest surrounding us offered a welcome shade:
2018-07-07 ben oss 021.JPG

One of the wet stretches, nothing a fit cat couldn't jump over:
2018-07-07 ben oss 026.JPG

The waterfall half way up the corrie was next to non existent, but I'd rather have that than knee deep bog :lol:
2018-07-07 ben oss 029.JPG

Looking back down to Ben Challum and Tyndrum Corbetts, the latter as yet unclimbed but they are on the list:
2018-07-07 ben oss 036.JPG

Allt Coire Dubhchraig just above the waterfall:
2018-07-07 ben oss 042.JPG

The well worn path goes all the way up to the summit ridge of Beinn Dubhchraig. Not much to say about the climb itself, we simply marched up the grassy slopes of the corrie. The sky clouded up as we walked and the temperature dropped, I was happy to lose the tropical climate for a few hours :lol:
2018-07-07 ben oss 047.JPG

Looking south-east from the rim of the corrie:
2018-07-07 ben oss 051.JPG

View north to Bridge of Orchy Munros, the humble Graham Meall Odhar in the foreground:
2018-07-07 ben oss 053.JPG

The summit of Beinn Dubhchraig is only a few hundred meters in SE direction, along the ridge. It's topped with a large cairn. My 238th Munro (82 for Lucy):
2018-07-07 ben oss 057.JPG

By the time we reached the summit it was overcast high cloud and the air was getting hazy, so sadly, pictures from the top are not up to the usual standard. We admired the view down south along Loch Lomond:
2018-07-07 ben oss 062.JPG

North to Beinn Chuirn and Glen Etive/Glen Coe hills on the horizon:
2018-07-07 ben oss 068.JPG

Our second target, Ben Oss and Loch Oss:
2018-07-07 ben oss 063.JPG

Nevermind the haze and the high cloud, nothing could stop Panther from meowing!
2018-07-07 ben oss 060.JPG

The southern pano:
2018-07-07 ben oss 076.JPG

The eastern pano:
2018-07-07 ben oss 077.JPG

North-west:
DSCF1071.JPG

Kevin a bit disappointed with the hazy views. It looked so nice and bright in the morning, hard to believe how quickly it changed!
DSCF1070.JPG

After a 10 min rest on the summit of Beinn Dubhchraig and a quick snack to keep us going, we set off to climb the second hill, Ben Oss. The drop to Bealach Buidhe is almost 200m but it didn't discourage us. It actually doesn't look like 200m... Or maybe I'm used to constant up and down now...
2018-07-07 ben oss 080.JPG

Beinn Chuirn and the Cononish gold mine:
2018-07-07 ben oss 083.JPG

The path is obvious all the way down to the bealach and then up to the ridge of the second Munro:
2018-07-07 ben oss 088.JPG

Beinn Dubhchraig from Ben Oss:
2018-07-07 ben oss 089.JPG

Loony Panther on the lower top (941m), with Ben Lui in the background:
2018-07-07 ben oss 096.JPG

Ben Oss, Munro no. 239 (83 for Lucy):
2018-07-07 ben oss 101.JPG

Kevin on his 243rd Munro with Lui behind (he has already climbed it, I haven't):
2018-07-07 ben oss 107.JPG

Views from Oss would be good. I said would, because by the time we got there, the air was extremely hazy. Probably polution blown in from the continent as the wind was coming from the south.
Loch Lomond and the surrounding hills so hazy:
2018-07-07 ben oss 108.JPG

We sat down to have a cuppa and sandwich, but I struggled to sustain my usual level of optimism as we stretched on the rocks, chewing our lunch and gazing in the distance. It all looked so sad, grey and depressing, I just wanted to finish my sandwich, pack up and get the hell out of there. It didn't help that other people started arriving shortly after us and soon the summit was crowded like a busy train station :roll:
Depressing views:
2018-07-07 ben oss 100.JPG

Back to Beinn Dubhchraig:
2018-07-07 ben oss 110.JPG

We returned to Dubhchraig without any incidents. We passed even more walkers going up Oss. I wasn't surprised seeing so many people on this route, it was after all, a summer Saturday and weather (despite the haze spoiling the views) was decent enough.
The final descent into Coire Dubhchraig didn't take us long, we overtook quite a few slower walkers, maybe I'm not as old as I look after all :lol:
Summing up, not a route to write poems about, but with the dry conditions underfoot, pleasant enough. It does not really feel like the 1200m of ascent it adds up to, maybe because it's good paths everywhere. We might come back to this duo one day to find an alternative way up, but for the time being, we're more interested in the neighbouring Ben Lui.
My next story will be about a quickie of a Corbett which cost us... some 100 miles of detour!
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: When even Dubhcraig bogs dry out

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 am

It takes a helluva prolonged dry spell to dry that bogfest out! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:14 pm

I think you should have to return under "normal" conditions :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Graeme D wrote:It takes a helluva prolonged dry spell to dry that bogfest out! :shock:

So I had been told. I was surprised it had actually dried. We expected knee deep bog but got easy walking instead. Just shows how extraordinary summer we have this year!

PeteR wrote:I think you should have to return under "normal" conditions :lol:

Maybe not necessarily. I don't fancy mud snorkeling :lol: If we re-do this duo, it will definitely be an alternative route, possibly from Glen Cononish side.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland