walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BENGAIRN Sub2 and the lost phone

BENGAIRN Sub2 and the lost phone

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bengairn

Date walked: 05/11/2017

Distance: 6.98 km

Ascent: 348m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying over in the Borders and with all Corbetts completed I decided on heading towards this wee Sub2 Bengairn.If you should be tempted to follow my route please lookout for my Sony Experia phone in a black case, which i lost going up a grassy gully on the East side of the hill just after the very wet boggy section at the foot of the gully, its there somewhere.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
from the A711 take the minor road towards Bengairn Loch, a Rough track off this road at the 73 m point shown on the OS MAP with just about enough room for parking one car
2.jpg
Further up the track towards Forest Wood
3.jpg
Up to the gate and after go right through a very muddy section
4.jpg
Muddy section then take the left turn adjacent to the forestry of Greenhill Wood
5.jpg
Heading uphill with trees on your right walk towards the ruins at Foresthill
6.jpg
Further up the grassy track, Bengairn is behind the trees on the left
7.jpg
Crossing grassy field diagonally and heading to the lower slopes of Bengairn there is an obvious grassy rake on the East side of Bengairn, head up this, keeping your eyes open for mt Sony phone please.
8.jpg
Deep and wet underfoot conditions
9.jpg
Looking back
10.jpg
Trig point at the summit of Bengairn
11.jpg
Large cairn at summit 391 m
12.jpg
Heading North towards the NE shoulder to try and find some drier underfoot conditions. (DONT BOTHER RETURN THE WAY YOU CAME ITS EVEN WETTER THIS WAY)
13.jpg
Heading towards NE shoulder
14.jpg
This section looks good but later on it gets very much wetter
15.jpg
Looking back to the bealach between the two hills
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland