walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fiacaill romp

Fiacaill romp

Postby Pensioner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 26/07/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the main Cairn Gorm carpark there was a light breeze in clear sunshine but a 1000m above my head unusual curved wisps were forming and racing westwards. Given the popularity of this route I was surprised to find the approach path from the main Coire an t-Sneachda track was faint and indistinct. I almost missed it, but picked it up only because it headed towards Faicaill Coire an t-Sneachda. There really needs to be more signposting in Scotland like the Dolomites or La Palma. The tedious interminable boulder strewn slope eventually led to the narrow broken block on the summit from which I had a first view of the scramble ahead.
Fiacaill Ridge 1.jpg
Fiacaill Ridge 3.jpg

What I hadn't realised was how short the scramble is and that you are almost level with the main plateau. At fist sight it looked harder than low grade 2 but then I made out the large stepped blocks on the right of the broken ridge. I clambered down, over and around various blocky outcrops until arriving at the main event which was a steep stepped chimney/corner. From below this looked challenging, but once committed all the holds and moves are fairly straightforward. This leads onto a series of narrow but fairly level rounded aretes. Then another stepped pitch leading to another thin ridge and then it's all over.

Fiacaill Ridge 2.jpg

I considered going for Macdui but the clear weather had given way to overcast and high winds, so I returned over Cairn Gorm for delicious soup and cappuccino in the Storehouse cafe. Great route but too short.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pensioner
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:18   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:68   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland