walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day (and night) in the wilderness

A day (and night) in the wilderness

Postby Alfachick » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Carn Bhac

Date walked: 05/05/2018

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am catching up on a few of my walk reports whilst I have a little time to myself. So without further ado...

As the May Day bank holiday looked like it was going to be a cracker I had decided to rope my friend into a long over due camping trip. We settled on a walk in, camp, hill(s), walk out plan. Unfortunately she had work on the Monday (boo) so we had to be back home for the Sunday evening.

I had a route planned out for us, taking in Carn Bhac and Beinn Lutharn Mhor, as they are often climbed together, as per the walk highlands recommended route.

We arrived at the car park at Inverey at a reasonable time despite stops for essentials like gin in a tin etc at the Tesco in Banchory on the way up.

A brisk(ish) walk in along the good land rover track up Glen Ey followed after the dogs had relieved themselves and had some water after being cooped up in the car for so long. Some speculation was had about who the Colonel was and why he would have a bed up here...

IMG_4294.jpg
Walking up Glen Ey

By the time we reached our camping spot we were extremely glad to take our heavy (so heavy) packs off and get the tents pitched. It was only around 4pm at this point and still a beautiful evening with the promise of a lovely clear night to follow.
We got the camp set up and sleeping bags out of the stuff sacks to air out, a quick snack and then decided that we may as well tick off one of the hills that we had come for, thus relieving some of the time pressure on us for the Sunday.

IMG_4300.jpg
Our camping spot

So off we set up Carn Bhac. Nothing particularly interesting to say about this hill, it has a pretty obvious path up to the top, through a small boulder field up to the summit plateau. It was however quite windy once we gained the shoulder, my soft-shell got a good testing on that, and performed admirably. Wooly hats even made an appearance! It was still May after all in the Scottish highlands. :lol:

A quick stop and sandwiches on the summit, a few quick pics, and mountain spotting was done and then back down to the tents. We did consider taking a different route down as the way up was quite boggy in places but we decided that we would just stick with the devil we knew...

IMG_4302.jpg
Looking North North West from the summit towards the Cairngorms

IMG_4306.jpg
The obligatory summit selfie

IMG_4314.jpg
Looking South towards Beinn Lutheran Mhor and An Socach

Before we knew it we were back at the tents and it was tea time! Our friend had decided that he would join us for the camping part of the trip but not the hills part (sensible man) and turned up not long after we had started cooking our boil in the bag meals. I am not entirely sold on these, I am more a kinda cup a soup or pasta 'n' sauce pot kinda girl (slaggy I know :lol: )

A really fun night spent with good friends a few bevies and the dogs under canvas was then had. So good for the soul being outside and in good company.

IMG_4336.jpg
Dog all wrapped up warm in my down sleeping bag (sometimes I think we spoil him)

The next day, we had a very leisurely start complete with a cooked breakfast, v tasty. We decided that with the prospect of a long walk out and the time constraint we would leave Beinn Lutheran Mhor for another day, it also looked really steep and my legs were protesting at the thought of it.

IMG_4381.jpg
The one that got away...

Oh no we will just have to come back! So sad :wink:

Lessons learned.... take less stuff! You don't need it all! Our camping packs were SO heavy, probably what didn't help the tired leg situation! I think our packs were about 18kg! Ridiculous. Needless to say I have bought a more reasonable sized and lighter pack for future camping trips.
Alfachick
Rambler

Munros:37   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:19   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland