walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WH Glencoe Meet - Stob Gabhar & Western Tops

WH Glencoe Meet - Stob Gabhar & Western Tops

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 31/10/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stats: 14 miles, 3234 feet of ascent, 7 hours!! (was feeling tired) 1 Munro, 2 tops...

There isn’t really much to say about this walk as it was very straightforward and I managed to have quite a relaxing day for a change, but, as I’ve just scanned all the pics and they’re a nice golden colour, thought I’d do a report so I could put them out!

I got off to a fairy late start after clearing out of the bunkhouse and driving back across Rannoch Moor. Little did I know as I passed the Inveroran Hotel that my friend in Keswick Mountain Rescue and a group of his friends were staying there all week! What a co-incidence – shame I didn’t know... It was even funnier that I was travelling from Glencoe to Bridge of Orchy area every day and they were travelling from Bridge of Orchy to Glen Etive!

Stob Gabhar & Loch Tulla.jpg
Loch Tulla.jpg
Stob Gabhar across Loch Tulla.jpg

I set off from Victoria Bridge carpark (as you do) and walked very quickly up to the Clashgour hut (which I’ve just read in my Borthwick was actually the local school!) and then turned off up the fairly wet track towards Ben Toaig. I was still going pretty fast up the track and it was quite sunny and warm so I was soon ‘topless’ (well, in my vest-top). I was aiming for the SE ridge of Stob Gabhar via the waterfall – everyone’s normal descent route.

Looking up Abhainn Shira-cloud coming down.jpg

When I reached the river I decided I couldn’t be bothered doing the balancing on slippery rocks routine and, like I’d been doing regularly the day before, whipped off my boots and socks and waded across. I’d much prefer to get my bare feet wet than get water in my boots if I slip! I then headed for the waterfall on a reasonable track.

I’d always worried about how I’d find the route up the side of the waterfall as it looks very steep but I’d asked several people during the year and they’d all said it was fine. By the time I’d reached it I’d got dressed again as, now I was out of the shelter of Ben Toaig, a chilly wind had sprung up. The track sets off steeply up the right-hand side of the waterfall and wasn’t really particularly worrying. The only bit which made me think I definitely wouldn’t go back down that way was after I’d climbed a slimy rock step at the top of the lower fall. By now I was pretty high up and, when I turned to look back down at the top of the step, thought it was now looking a bit daunting. The path from thereon was fine though and I pretty soon crossed the burn for the final part of the climb.

By the time I reached the top of the waterfall I was suddenly absolutely and completely knackered and had to sit down for about 10 minutes and have some food and drink – very unusual for me! I rarely eat when I’m out and certainly not so early in the day. From there it was a good path up the SE ridge but I never really got going all the way up it and kept having to stop momentarily to get my breath back. I met one chap coming down and wondered if it was the Walkhighlands guy who was just coming up to do Stob Gabhar and Stob a’ Choire Odhair for the day – but I thought it was too soon to have done both (sorry, can’t remember who Stretch said it was). We had a brief chat about what a lovely day it was and then went on our separate ways.

Ascending South Ridge of Stob Gabhar.jpg
Stob Gabhar, Coire na Muic.jpg
Looking back down...
Easy Route onto end of Aonach Eagach.jpg
Stob a' Choire Odhair from Gabhar.jpg
Stob a' Choire Odhair in sun.jpg

The ridge slackens briefly near the top and the path rakes left along the fenceline straight for the summit. I decided not to follow it for two reasons – one was that I wanted to go and photograph the Aonach Eagach ridge and see what it was like, the other was that I thought it would be much nicer to break the climb up with a nice flat walk from the end of the Aonach Eagach to the start of the final rise up to the summit. I was soon at the end of the Aonach Eagach ridge and several obliging groups of people were crossing it so I could see how they coped and get some photos of them... It looked fine to me, unlike the ascent to it which I’d seen previously and thought looked horribly steep!

Stob Gabhar's Aonach Eagach.jpg
Aonach Eagach end to Sron na Guibhas.jpg
Stob Gabhar summit.jpg

I tried to race the group of young guys coming off the ridge up to the summit but failed miserably about half way up when they easily overtook me – definitely not having a good day. I arrived shortly after them and we had a nice chat and a good discussion of the views. They hadn’t decided at that point which way they were going back and asked me what my plans were – I told them I’d come to do the western tops and possibly (but probably not) Meall Odhar on the end of that ridge. As it turned out, I definitely didn’t have time for the latter although it did look a nice walk. A cloud was on its way in so I decided to set off while I could still see exactly which ridge I was heading to!

Stob Gabhar summit to A' Choire Odhair.jpg
Stob Gabhar's western tops.jpg

After a very short but easy descent on bouldery ground, I was on a lovely level ridge of grass and bombing towards the first top, Sron a Ghearrain. In not many minutes I was there – the ridge to the north was really nice but the top was a bit vague so I didn’t really stay. I’d managed to escape the cloud anyway... I set off on the longish but gradual descent to the col before the second and final top, Stob a Bruach Leith. While I was doing this I was looking down the slopes to my left as that’s where I wanted to ultimately descend – they looked fine and not steep at all.

Stob Gabhar from Sron na Gearrain.jpg

After reaching the col there was a very short ascent towards the second top, then a bit of a pleasant undulating ridge and you were there. Meall Odhar came into view and I was tempted but, looking at my watch, there was no chance really so I gave it a sad wave. I did sit in the sun by the cairn for 10 minutes for a pleasant break and my flask – it was lovely and warm just there.

Across Sron na Gearran to Clachlet.jpg
Stob Gabhar from Stob a' Bruach Leith.jpg

I then descended back to the col and picked my way across and down the grassy slopes towards the col of the Mam nan Sac where I knew there was a good stalkers track to take me back to Clashgour (house not hut). There were a few deer on the slopes but they soon left as they caught sight of me – I always feel bad disturbing them – they’d probably had enough trauma at that time of year!

I reached the Mam nan Sac and looked around for the path – it started pretty much where I thought it would. The track was pretty boggy to start with and I hoped it wasn’t going to be like that all the way back. However, when it turned away from the col and started descending across the lower slopes of Sron a Ghearrain it became a dry and superb track and made for extremely pleasant walking all the way to the house.

Coire Gabhar.jpg
Coire Gabhar from stalker's track.jpg

I then just had the walk back through the forest to Clashgour hut and then the riverside walk back to Victoria Bridge carpark. I was starting to think it was getting late and I had virtually no petrol so I thought I’d best get a move on for this bit. I reached the car within the hour but then decided, it being a Sunday, I didn’t dare go out of my way to Tyndrum for fuel in case they were shut so just headed back to Glencoe as I was booked into the SYHA there. I was so short of petrol I ended up coasting the whole way down Glencoe – must be steep as the car managed to keep above 50mph all the way down! Very naughty!
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: WH Glencoe Meet - Stob Gabhar & Western Tops

Postby monty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:26 am

Nice pictures MC,
That looks quite a steep climb up past the waterfall so I am not surprised you were tired. :D The walk along the top is fairly flat though and is on nice terrain. I thought Meal Odhar looked quite a long way along the ridge and there doesnt seem to be anything to gain by visiting it. It looks no different to the other tops. I came up this one from Stob a'Choire Odhair across the ridge and then onto the other two munros but then my brain is frozen :lol:
monty

Postby magicdin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Nice pictures right enough MC - some of them almost look like paintings
Stob Gabhar is a great hill is'nt it :D
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby smudger71 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi,

i was the guy from walk highliands...but we didnt speak...i was coming off the summit of Stob G as you were just starting the final ascent to the summet...I recognised you from your photo's and the bum bag!!!! but you didnt have the look of someone who wanted to talk....

it was a great day up there though and the 2 munro's only took about 5.5hrs so wasnt too long a walk...

Mark
smudger71
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   Corbetts:47
Fionas:24   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:11   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Great pictures there MC.
I thought i had lost the thread then (and you had) as all of a sudden you were on the Aonach Eagach (as if :lol: )...forgot there's one here too!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby monty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Having a second look, the pictures are stunning. :D
monty

Postby beeperman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 pm

monty wrote:Having a second look, the pictures are stunning. :D

Yes, great photography MC. Reminded me of when I did Stob Gabhar in winter, a big stag led a group of deer across the river somewhere around your fourth picture. I remember standing stock still as he turned to check me out then just carried on imperiously. A really vivid memory of a fine day with lots of fresh snow about.
beeperman

Munros:59   

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Beautiful pictures MC (hope you didn't bring home any blood sucky creatures when you waded in bare footed!!) :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Beautiful pictures MC (hope you didn't bring home any blood sucky creatures when you waded in bare footed!!) :lol:

:o Dunno - haven't checked my feet... having said that, unless I can see for myself, noone else will volunteer to check them either! :lol:

Monty & Beeperman - it was really that the conditions were stunning more than my photography but thanks :D :D
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 pm

smudger71 wrote:Hi,

i was the guy from walk highliands...but we didnt speak...i was coming off the summit of Stob G as you were just starting the final ascent to the summet...I recognised you from your photo's and the bum bag!!!! but you didnt have the look of someone who wanted to talk....

it was a great day up there though and the 2 munro's only took about 5.5hrs so wasnt too long a walk...

Mark

That's why I'm so depressed about my time of 7 hours to do one Munro when I knew I should have been nearer to your time - and you did 2 in that time! I really was having a go-slow day - in fact, I had a go-slow week as my energy levels didn't really pick up at all during the week. I got quite cross with myself in the end :(

And I didn't realise I looked too grumpy to talk to in the hills - sorry! I would have chatted honest :D Maybe I was just so knackered I looked grumpy? Also, I think I'd already started racing those young lads behind me by then so perhaps I was just looking grimly determined? :lol:

I did see some people coming down just as I started the summit but thought there was 2 people? Both guys and with walking poles? Was one of them you? The guy I mentioned in my report I met just above the waterfall...
mountain coward

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 pm

the pictures are really stunning MC, wished I could do better pics

you should see me in the hills, determined and grumpy looking :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 pm

We'll have to have a walk together - 2 grumpy-looking women stomping along :lol: I think when I'm in 'serious mood' I probably do look grumpy, even though I'm not - it's just my face :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:04 pm

everyone would run a mile if they see us :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 pm

:lol: We could have a great time scaring all those tough guys off the Munros! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 pm

yep - some of that lovely autumnal glow in your photos - I was probably daft to head for home so early on the Sunday.

Mind you, you should see what difference a couple of weeks makes :shock: (I didn't take this photo -I rather naughtily hoicked it out of jaml23's report on Scottishhills. Hope he doesn't mind!)
100_0343.JPG
Aonach Eagach 16/11/2010 by jaml23
Last edited by malky_c on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland