walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wet and windy so called summers day on Gobhar

A wet and windy so called summers day on Gobhar

Postby desmondo1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Binnean nan Gobhar

Date walked: 31/07/2018

Time taken: 4.15 hours

Distance: 11.65 km

Ascent: 704m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Map.jpg

Map of Cashel forest
Back on home turf again for a visit to a lesser climbed top at Loch Lomond.
We began at the Cashel visitor centre parking area, £2.50 charge so be warned.
start.jpg

Turn right at end of building
Going past the buildings we took an immediate right going alongside the old buildings and following the track from here. You could go straight on and it would shorten the walk but we used that for our descent.
LL.jpg

Loch Lomond and high bracken
This grassy path meanders up through the forest at a good gradient and soon rewarded us with views over Loch Lomond and the Luss hills. People can be seen on top of Conic Hill.
The path lasts for about 3k before meeting up with the direct stony track where we turned right and continued up the hill.
Target.jpg

Objective straight ahead
There are now good views of the summits ahead, the trig of Beinn Bhreac and the slightly higher sub 2k top of Binnean nan Gobhar, only 9 metres of a height difference.
At the junction we headed left to the iron gate, easily opened and before long we were out on the open moor.
The track had now deteriorated to a faint ATV offering through very wet ground. Also the weather had deteriorated the predicted rain arriving early.
no path.jpg

No path now
There is no obvious way up so take what you think is the best way through the heather, bracken and marsh grass. We had drifted further north than intended before cutting in but in retrospect the ascent from here was miles better than the descent.
After the initial deep stuff we were on slightly easier walking heading up towards the left flank of Gobhar, as we looked at it. The going was very wet with hidden holes but at times also a faint track to follow.
Gob over there.jpg

Gobhar from false summit
We cut along the face and then went straight up to where we saw a small cairn but of course this was a false summit, further north and higher was the real cairn.
The crossing to this was short and another short ascent got us there in what was a now very strong wind. It was also freezing, it is still summer isn‘t it.
BL from gob.jpg

Ben Lomond from Gobhar
Excellent views across to Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps. Also in between in the above snap is the other Sub2k of Beinn Uird. Had this been a solo outing I would have incorporated this as well.
Beinn Bhreac was just a short distance away but to get to it was a delicate crossing. The plateau here is covered in peat hags and some were very soft indeed, not nice when you went deep.
BB from Gob.jpg

Beinn Bhreac from Gobhar
At the trig the rain had arrived in force, the wind driving the rain into our faces. Pity about the trig it is starting to erode, I wonder if they get repaired these days? It was actually sunny and clear to the south west, is that conical hill away in the distance Tinto? I think it is. A short refreshment break and warm and/or wet gear donned and my camera stored away in its waterproof bag so no more snaps after this point.
bb trig.jpg

Sad looking eroded trig
We opted to take the direct route down from here back to the tree line (this should have been our ascent) but it was a serious mistake, it was brutal going. The number of deep hidden holes was a serious risk of broken limbs. I don’t know if this was a previous tree plantation but I have rarely encountered so many holes in terrain like this. Of course it was also wet, muddy and waist high grass at times and we could hear but not see the burn.
Muddy and wet but no serious injuries back to the car park. Its true that these sub 2k’s are frequently tougher than bigger hills.
A hard but enjoyable outing but I won’t be rushing back until off season for the undergrowth.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland