walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Georgia on my mind

Georgia on my mind

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 14/08/2008

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I came across some of my first digital photos the other day, from 10 years ago.

This trip to Crianlarich was by way of a consolation for our original plan to visit Georgia (the one that takes part in Eurovision*) and to climb the mountain Kazbek, location of the legendary Golden Fleece - a rather nice picture of it is at http://www.caucasus-trekking.com/Images/Treks/Kazbegi/Fullscreen/04_Tsminda.JPG

Unfortunately, it was August 2008. The Russian Army, acting quite selfishly I think, scuppered our Plan A.

Kazbek remains unclimbed (by me, anyway).

At the time (pre knee replacement) I used to think in terms of longer routes than I do now, and we did all four of the Ben Lui group in one walk. If I did these hills now, I would do split them into 2 or 3 walks.

I remember it as a hazy day with poor long-distance views, but then I came across these long-forgotten pictures and realised that there are a few OK ones among them. The route was interesting, too.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had dull cloudy conditions all the way from Tyndrum to Ben Lui's summit, so no photos of that bit. The cloud cleared, though, on the walk down the western slopes of Ben Lui, and we had good views on Beinn a'Chleibh's north-eastern crags.

ImageIMG_8793 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

View from a pond on Beinn a'Chleibh of the "back" of Ben Lui. By the way, (this may be common knowledge, but I was surprised to see it) Lui's summit cairn is called Carn Mhuirich. Translation, anyone?

ImageIMG_8795 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Beinn a'Chleibh summit.

ImageIMG_8796 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We went back to the a'Chleibh-Lui bealach, with hazy sunshine and views down into Glen Lochy.

ImageIMG_8805 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We then did a long level traverse around Ben Lui's south-western flank, a featureless slope starred with cotton-grass. Arrochar Alps in the background.

ImageIMG_8808 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A slug-shaped pond at the Lui-Oss bealach (and the best sunshine of the day).

ImageIMG_8815 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

An interesting angle on Ben Lui. Who needs Kazbek?

ImageIMG_8820 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A very hazy Loch Lomond from the summit of Ben Oss.

ImageIMG_8822 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Views from the summit of Beinn Dubhcraig, and a celebratory summit snifter.

ImageIMG_8830 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8831 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8825 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The descent from Dubhcraig was memorable for being long, muddy, and worst of all fraught with fear that the chip shop in Tyndrum might close before we got there.

* trivia question: over the years, four non-European countries have taken part in Eurovision. What are they?
Last edited by HalfManHalfTitanium on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Georgia on my mind

Postby Beery Hiker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am

Thanks for posting that Tim - it was indeed a memorable day! You didn't mention the navigational error on the way up Ben Lui that caused up to go straight up the ridiculously steep grass slope until we reached the good path slanting across it. It was that descent from Beinn Dubhcraig that persuaded me to start using poles, as I was the only one who didn;t have them, and I couldn't keep up on the boggy stuff.
Beery Hiker
Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:132
Wainwrights:119   Islands:5

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Clear evidence that the Russian Army and hillwalking plans do not make comfortable bed fellows! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Graeme D wrote:Clear evidence that the Russian Army and hillwalking plans do not make comfortable bed fellows! :lol:

Thanks Graeme D! I still hope to get to the Caucasus one of these days, despite the region's insane politics. Currently, Armenia looks the best combination of safety and scenery - quite cheap, too!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby maxie23 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:06 pm

Tim

Nice old report, really enjoyed the photos.

Impressive pic of Kazbek, looks a hell of a mountain, would have been some trip for you.

Hope you get to the Caucasus someday.

Regards
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland