walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Delightful butterfly surprise on lowly Cairn Pat

Delightful butterfly surprise on lowly Cairn Pat

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn Pat

Date walked: 02/08/2018

Time taken: 0.45 hours

Distance: 2.56 km

Ascent: 91m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This way2.jpg

The start
On my way to Portpatrick I couldn’t miss the opportunity to pick off my most south westerly sub2k. The added bonus was that it must be one of the lowest and hence the quickest. It was a gloomy low cloud morning hope it stays dry as no outdoor gear with me.
No obvious nearby parking so I parked the car a couple of hundred yards past the start of the walk at a deserted farm/works building.
The signpost confirms the short hike so up the brambled clad track on one side I went. Farmer came down quite fast so as I stood into the grassy verge on the other side, to let him past, I touched the wire fence, ouch it was electrified. I bet that gave him a laugh.
track to mast2.jpg

Clear track to top
Soon a locked gate which I climbed over to observe lots of coo pats and fresh. The track was now muddy and on full alert I spotted them but they were in the field on the other side of the hedge but this track is part of the field.
cows.jpg

Disinterested coos
I then reached the next fence with the mast in clear view not far away. At least this gate opened. This field was also full of coos, a different kind and closer but they just stared and kept their distance.
trig loch ryan2.jpg

Trig to Loch Ryan
Before long the trig appears to the right hand side of the mast.
trig solway2.jpg

Lake District over there somewhere
Despite the very low clouds there are some distance views back up Loch Ryan. I can see Stranraer and the Solway visibility not good enough to see the Lake District.
Mating butterflies The Wall2.jpg

Mating pair of The Wall
Back down the trail taking a bit of time to watch the butterfly mating game that was taking place amid the brambles and thistles. Later when checking my snaps I realised that I had a 1st for me, this mating pair are called ‘The Wall’, as said never seen or heard of before so chuffed.
Bee & butterfly2.jpg

Red Admiral & bee
Also a nice snap of a red admiral about to be removed from the flower by the bumble bee.
Small white butterfly2.jpg

Small White
A short walk and objective achieved. With the butterflies it reaffirmed that no hill no matter how insignificant could be well worth it.
Wildlife: Red Admiral, The Wall, Small White.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Delightful butterfly surprise on lowly Cairn Pat

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:02 pm

We have been checking out the buddleia on the coastal path near here which used to be full of peacock butterflies, and had become very alarmed as none seem to have arrived, so it is great to know that some others are around the other side of the country. Three kinds no less.

Just had a look at my Trip Report for Cairn Pat posted elsewhere and it is full of these :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: since we were embarrassed to be climbing such a small hill. Our excuse was vile weather anywhere else. It was the flattest hill we had climbed to date (its ascent preceded a Shropshire drive-by where the choice of summit was the lid of the reservoir, the statue of a kneeling miner or a bit of road.). Cairn Pat was the only hill we have climbed without a proper map....we didn't think we could get lost, and your report confirms it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Delightful butterfly surprise on lowly Cairn Pat

Postby iangpark » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:13 am

Lovely report Des - am also a firm believer that higher does not necessarily mean better. Have never seen Wall butterflies in the flesh so will need to take a trip west. This wee hill has been on the radar for a while too :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland