walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Did you hear about the explosion at the cheese factory?

Did you hear about the explosion at the cheese factory?

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Route description: Rum Cuillin traverse

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval, Askival

Fionas included on this walk: Trallval

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Sgùrr (Eigg)

Date walked: 28/07/2018

Time taken: 23 hours

Distance: 67.82 km

Ascent: 3621m

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

“Want to go to Rum and Eigg at the weekend?”

“Can’t….well, maybe if the weather is good…..actually, yes because the alternative is chores” :lol:

And so it was that Malcy gave in and prepared himself for another weekend of putting up with me. The weather was looking a little iffy (bloody awful :roll: ) but we figured we could always hang out in the bothies and watch the rain :lol:

The drive to Mallaig was decidedly interesting with thunder, lightning, a lot of rain and my car singing. It was so wet approaching Mallaig that we couldn’t face putting the tent up so we ate a lot of food, played a game of Top Bothy and slept in my car which wasn’t the most comfortable :roll:

However, Saturday morning dawned and despite the crap nights sleep and discomfort we made our way to the ferry terminal in high spirits (possibly something to do with the fact we were off to Rum – wahey 8) )

So far our islands looked clear….

In fact, even Skye was clear :shock:

And after a cup of tea and Calmac fry up we were both feeling a bit more alive :lol: We had a wee bit of a map session and a weather forecast check and we had a collective brainwave – follow the weather and split the ridge :thumbup:

Arriving into Rum

We dragged ourselves and our ridiculous amounts of stuff off the ferry and we were on Rum! What followed was me trying to bat away midges while Malcy unpacked and repacked his bags (several times :lol: )

Finally we were ready – we picked up the path towards Dibidil and we were on our way :thumbup: Almost immediately we were heading uphill and we were both regretting carrying so much stuff :shock:

Looking back towards the ferry terminal with Skye poking out behind

As we continued along the path parts of the ridge came into view. We both got fairly excited about this :lol:

Despite the heavy loads we were carrying it was impossible not to be utterly thrilled to be where we were – looking back to the mainland:

It was tiring work but I managed to keep us entertained with my witty banter and amazing cheese jokes (the explosion at the cheese factory? De-brie everywhere ;-) :lol: )

Malcy explores a new career in advertising highland water

Looking back to Skye 8)

Malcy got his camera out every time I crossed a river :lol:

A glimpse of Askival

Eigg makes an appearance 8)

Malcy modelling our gear transportation plan – Bag-on-a-bag :lol:

The ridge again

“It’s just around the next corner” was uttered several times before we met a man coming the other way who informed us it really was around the next but one corner :lol: He was also wearing wellies which seemed a wise plan given the condition of the path :lol:

Malcy admiring Sgurr nan Gillean

Dibidil bothy comes into view – what a perfect spot!

We settled into the bothy, had a wee dip in the river and tried to have a wee nap while the weather did its worst. We were joined by a group passing through and then a couple of guys who had come over part of the ridge. They were soaked :lol:

Soon enough, Eigg was returned to view and we prepared ourselves for the off….

Leaving the bothy just before 5.30 we rejoined the path. Conditions were looking better already :thumbup:

We followed the path up onto the ridge before we went off-piste and headed uphill across deep grass. It was steep in places but we found a big rock for a breather :lol:

Looking to Askival

As we climbed higher the views only got better 8) Tiny wee Muck

Looking ahead to staggy mcstagface

The steep ascent meant that we needed more cheese jokes – What do you call cheese that isn’t yours? Na-cho cheese :lol:

More height gained meant we could see the awesome light shining on the sea

And then we were on the ridge :shock: We were both pretty much lost for words (a surprise for us both :lol: )

Ainshaval and Askival

It was a stunning evening and we were both so ecstatic that we agreed that even if the weather came in it wouldn’t matter now we’d had that view 8)

Eigg with a wee rainbow 8)

We followed the ridge – looking back to Sgurr nan Gillean

Malcy walking around Nameless Corrie

The ridge narrowed and the cloud came in, making it very atmospheric :D

“Ruuuuum” :lol:

Unfortunately the cloud heralded some rain and we had to stop to add waterproofs. Despite having said that we would be happy with that first view of the ridge, we had decided we wanted a clear summit :lol: So we started walking very slowly towards Ainshaval hoping it might blow through :roll:

Sadly it never properly cleared :lol:

Askival peeking out from the cloud

A wee Eiggy rainbow

Light breaking through the cloud to the west

We hung around a while but the weather didn’t seem to be blowing through so we decided to carry on. The next section was dropping down Grey Corrie towards the bealach before Trallval.

There were some really interesting sections on this descent as the rocks were damp and slippery :shock: Fortunately for both of us we were too busy trying to hang on to get cameras out :lol:

Look at the size of those rocks :shock:

Malcy contemplates doing something daft :roll:

Looking down Glen Dibidil

Ahead to Trallval – looking pretty vertical from here :shock:

“I’m gonna stand on that outcrop”

Down at the bealach, we scoped out the route and set off – this was a case of it not being as bad as it looked fortunately and there was actually a path most of the way up.

Looking back down….

Looking back to the descent down Ainshval :shock:

We made it onto the Trallval ridge and it was pretty windy but clear!

Back to Ainshval

Skye

Some mild scrambling (made a little more interesting by damp grass and lack of grip on my boots :roll: ) and we were at the summit.

Malcy recreates his previous time here…. :lol:

I was more daring :lol:

Eigg

Malcy enjoying manly pursuits

Me trying to hold on :lol:

We dropped down the ridge; a few awkward scrambles then we were back onto easy walking.

More jokes kept us occupied – what sort of cheese do you use to hide a horse? Mask-a-pony :lol:

Ainshval and grey corrie

The showers were long past and it was a beautiful evening as we walked down a very damp Glen Dibidil

Back at Dibidil it was time for a fire and some rum on Rum :lol:

Sunday 29th July
It was a wild night at Dibidil; the winds reached around 85mph (and that’s without taking Malcy’s ass into account :lol: ) and a weather check suggested a lazy start would get us the best weather :thumbup:

Morning 8)

As the winds were set to drop throughout the day we thought it a better idea to do the flat walk first before heading up on the ridge later on.

Looking back to Dibidil as we headed off at midday 8)

Gaining height we saw Skye 8)

We left the path and headed for Loch Coire nan Grunnd

Our initial plan had been to make for the bealach between Hallival and Askival but had another change of plan when we decided that it looked nicer climbing up the other side and doing a full traverse.

As we reached the loch I got closer for a better shot…

….and then called Malcy’s bluff by suggesting he climb the big rock :lol:

Malcy on Malc Rock :lol:

Eventually we were on the move again and hopping over some really weird looking moon rocks :lol:

Heading up the ridge we could see back to our wee paradise and Eigg in the background

We were planning to head across to the usual ascent up Hallival but looking up we thought we could try a new route. ‘Hallival Direct’ was on :thumbup: 8)

After a wee bit of scrambling around on damp rocks we realised that it was grassy and flat the other side and we were sorted :thumbup:

Looking back down

Barkeval

Kinloch and Skye

Jaxter on Hallival

Our island paradise

Skye

Incredible Rum

Look happy Malcy 8)

Askival and Ainshval

We had a wee munch on some food (Malcy was stopped and therefore needed to eat :lol: ) and then we headed off down the ridge, actually going the wrong way initially (shh don’t tell anyone :-) )

Looking back to Hallival

Contemplating the pinnacles

And ahead to Askival – looking pretty impressive :shock:

We were in need of e-dam good joke, so I pulled out my repertoire of cheese jokes again :lol:

Fortunately the path led easily to the left of the pinnacles and there were no issues!

The path was fairly clear most of the way, although during one moment of indecision Malcy, usually so easy-going and indecisive took control and grabbed proceedings by the balls :lol:

We jumped onto the ridge above the pinnacles and it was worth it for the view :shock:

Malcy on a pinnacle

Me on the summit 8)

We sat and enjoyed the sunshine and beautiful surroundings – so happy to be there 8)

Ainshval and Trallval

Incredible Rum

Eventually it was time to get going – initially following the path…

...before losing it again and heading downhill off-piste :roll:

On this occasion we stuck to the left of the burn which turned out to be slightly drier! Back at the bothy we had more company but managed to jump in the rock pools and have a lovely evening (even though our fire lighting skills weren’t up to much :lol: )

Monday 30th July
The next morning we had a relaxed start and left the bothy before heading off with our super heavy packs again :roll:

It was a stunning morning – our view of Eigg was even more awesome because that’s where we were headed next 8) :D

As we climbed up the path it was hard work so we could stop for plenty of photo stops :lol:

We were caught up by our pals from the bothy as well as a few rain showers. We were pretty glad to see the ferry terminal as we headed down the final descent into Kinloch

We headed along the track towards the Community Centre, passing by the castle…

….before arriving at the Community Centre. We are not good at decisions so it seemed easier to have all three cakes :lol:

A few games of pool and some amazing lunch later, we grabbed a shower on the way to the ferry terminal and managed to dodge the showers!

The ferry on its way…

On the ferry we left our boots in the sun and went and stood out on the deck….both Rum and Eigg looked absolutely amazing and the weather was saying YES to our next mad plan :thumbup: 8)

Ahead to Ardnamurchan 8)

Eigg in my face :lol: 8)

Sgorr an Fharaidh

We were on Eigg 8)

Eggs on Eigg 8)

Anyone else noticed how the word “egg” sounds really funny? Nah…just me then :lol: Didn’t stop me saying “Eigg” at random intervals :lol:

We dumped most of our things at the pub and headed off for a wander to Laig Bay to see the singing sands 8)

Standing stone

Around 5km down the road (the one road, despite having got the wrong one initially :lol: ) Rum came into view and it was stunning 8)

Beach time!

Less dramatic Malcy :lol:

An Sgurr looking inviting 8)

Back at the pub we shuffled our stuff around again, filled up our water and headed off for our camp spot 8)

Amazing Ardnamurchan

Skye

An Sgurr direct? :lol:

I think it was somewhere around here I asked Malcy how to keep an idiot in suspense….I said I’d tell him later :lol:

As we climbed higher Rum came back into view…it was shaping up to be an incredible evening 8)

Malcy contemplates life

Muck

Me trying to work out how to keep an idiot in suspense :crazy:

We made it to the summit and selected our camp spot before jumping around like idiots with big smiles on our faces :lol: 8)

We got the tents pitched before heading back to the summit for photos 8)

It was quite a tricky trig point to get on top of but I managed it :D

Malcy is taller and had fewer problems :lol:

We got dinner on and sat down to enjoy a stunning evening from an amazing viewpoint

Malcy walking off his dinner :lol:

If anything, things got better 8)

With the sun gone, the temperature dropped and we brought out the sleeping bags and sat out on the rocks enjoying a perfect evening 8)

The moon made an appearance

And I busted my phone screen getting this shot :lol:

It was quite windy overnight so we decided to get up early to get the tents down before it got ridiculous….however, when the alarms went off for sunrise neither of us was keen to get up :lol: One more hour :lol:

And one more hour after that… :lol:

It was a little overcast so we did get the tents down about 7 and headed down – no point staying up there for the sake of it :roll:

What sort of cheese do you use to hide a pony? Mask-a-horse….oh…hang on, that’s not right…. :lol: Clearly I wasn’t totally awake yet :lol: :lol:

Back at the pub we had a shower, cup of tea and an Eigg roll…the weather got progressively worse; we didn’t really care as we had been ridiculously jammy with the weather all weekend :lol:

Obviously I had to get one of these :lol:

It was a choppy crossing back to the mainland, but the cups of tea survived and although I came close, I never actually fell over :lol:

What a weekend eh…. 8)

Rum.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Eigg.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Did you hear about the explosion at the cheese factory?

Postby malky_c » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm

What a great trip you had - must've been something to do with the company :lol: .

Great write-up, but my ears are still ringing :roll:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Great trip. Love Rum and Eigg. Respect if you can keep up with malky_c, as it seems.

BTW, you'd better patent your summit pose asap, looks as if someone else is getting in on the act

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44984300

Scroll down to number five.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:13 pm

From my experience, I would say you were very lucky to get such decent weather in the company of Malky.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 am

Tut tut. I think you missed one! :roll:

What's the best kind of cheese for getting a bear out of a tree?
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Great report but shame on you for avoiding the Askival pinnacles. Rum is indeed a magic place. The tour of Kinloch castle gives an amazing insight in to how the other half lived 120 or so years ago. I think the Orchestrium and the world's first Jacuzzi are probably unique :D from Dibidil I walked on down the coast to Pappadil - lots of feral goats - and then round to the ludicrously inappropriate mausoleum at Harris. I could do 35 k in day then without a problem. Last time we walked over to the other bothy at Guirdil in pouring rain. The approach over Bloodstone hill was OK, but on the return up Glen Guirdil I don't think I saw my feet for 40 minutes :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:56 am

fantastic adventures Jackie, you won`t want the summer to end...
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:06 pm

'S math a rinn sibh :clap: ... Never tire of the view from Laig bay over to Rum you were close to our croft in Cleadale there :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Just brilliant, awed by the photos and still giggling at the jokes :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Now that's how to do a trip! Amazing hills, wild spots to stay, and much silliness throughout. The only way.

Photos are stunning, what a place Rum looks to be. To my shame, I've not got there yet.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Good trip, glad you managed to get (mostly) suitable weather for it. Dead jammy getting to Eigg on the same trip - I've not managed there yet.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby apollo0815 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Very nice report, Jackie, I envy you for the (rain) showers mostly:) We haven't had that in Germany for months now. It's always 30 + degrees and very dryish.

Now I have definitely set Rum and Eigg on my todo-list
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Great report Jaxter. I doubt if I could keep up with you guys. I went up the Sgurr a few years ago and did a circular route which WH advised against though the navigation and route finding seemed straightforward :? (though it was a nice clear day and before the bracken had arrived)
It was a really rough crossing with several nervous passengers and watching the locals having to anticipate the waves to drive off was entertaining :shock:
IMG_20141216_045914 - Copy.jpg

Great Islands to visit - It's been too long :(

PS What is Caberfeidhs favourite cheese?

Chedd-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby David-Main » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Fantastic Jackie, Great Photos too :clap: :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Cracking report (actually 2 for the price of 1 trip!) - except for the jokes... :D .

Both islands looking wonderful, but especially the Rum Cuillin - they're on the list....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland