walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Did you hear about the explosion at the cheese factory?

Did you hear about the explosion at the cheese factory?

by Jaxter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Route description: Rum Cuillin traverse

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval, Askival

Fionas included on this walk: Trallval

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Sgùrr (Eigg)

Date walked: 28/07/2018

Time taken: 23 hours

Distance: 67.82 km

Ascent: 3621m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Did you hear about the explosion at the cheese factory?

Postby Pastychomper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Great pictures. I wonder if some of the sections would have been easier if you'd each put a single stilt-on.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Great photos that almost make up for some terrible cheese jokes.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 pm

malky_c wrote:What a great trip you had - must've been something to do with the company :lol: .

Great write-up, but my ears are still ringing :roll:

You'll have to find some better company next time :wink: :wink:

Sgurr wrote:Great trip. Love Rum and Eigg. Respect if you can keep up with malky_c, as it seems.

BTW, you'd better patent your summit pose asap, looks as if someone else is getting in on the act

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44984300</span>

Scroll down to number five.

You're the 3rd person to point that out to me :lol: Seems I have a competitor :shock: :shock:

LeithySuburbs wrote:From my experience, I would say you were very lucky to get such decent weather in the company of Malky.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very true - I must be extra lucky :roll:

Graeme D wrote:Tut tut. I think you missed one! :roll:

What's the best kind of cheese for getting a bear out of a tree?

Camembert!! :lol: :lol: :D

past my sell by date wrote:Great report but shame on you for avoiding the Askival pinnacles. Rum is indeed a magic place. The tour of Kinloch castle gives an amazing insight in to how the other half lived 120 or so years ago. I think the Orchestrium and the world's first Jacuzzi are probably unique :D from Dibidil I walked on down the coast to Pappadil - lots of feral goats - and then round to the ludicrously inappropriate mausoleum at Harris. I could do 35 k in day then without a problem. Last time we walked over to the other bothy at Guirdil in pouring rain. The approach over Bloodstone hill was OK, but on the return up Glen Guirdil I don't think I saw my feet for 40 minutes :lol: :lol:

I'm glad I vetoed that then :lol: :lol: One for a dry spell :roll:

tomyboy73 wrote:fantastic adventures Jackie, you won`t want the summer to end...

I've got about 50 walk reports to do so I best stop walking for a bit :lol: :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:'S math a rinn sibh :clap: ... Never tire of the view from Laig bay over to Rum you were close to our croft in Cleadale there :wink:

Ah we shoulda popped in for a cuppa! Cracking spot :clap: 8)

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Just brilliant, awed by the photos and still giggling at the jokes :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

Thankyou - me too :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Now that's how to do a trip! Amazing hills, wild spots to stay, and much silliness throughout. The only way.

Photos are stunning, what a place Rum looks to be. To my shame, I've not got there yet.

Totally worth the effort - an amazing place 8) 8) 8)

weaselmaster wrote:Good trip, glad you managed to get (mostly) suitable weather for it. Dead jammy getting to Eigg on the same trip - I've not managed there yet.

Aye it was the jammiest trip ever, especially given the forecast - we were expecting to spend the whole weekend watching rain out the bothy :roll:

apollo0815 wrote:Very nice report, Jackie, I envy you for the (rain) showers mostly:) We haven't had that in Germany for months now. It's always 30 + degrees and very dryish.

Now I have definitely set Rum and Eigg on my todo-list

A bit of rain is what makes it so pretty I guess... :crazy: :crazy:

Sunset tripper wrote:Great report Jaxter. I doubt if I could keep up with you guys. I went up the Sgurr a few years ago and did a circular route which WH advised against though the navigation and route finding seemed straightforward :? (though it was a nice clear day and before the bracken had arrived)
It was a really rough crossing with several nervous passengers and watching the locals having to anticipate the waves to drive off was entertaining :shock:
IMG_20141216_045914 - <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">Copy.jpg</span>

Great Islands to visit - It's been too long :(

PS What is Caberfeidhs favourite cheese?

Chedd-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh. :D

Brilliant :clap:

David-Main wrote:Fantastic Jackie, Great Photos too :clap: :clap:

Cheers dude 8)

Alteknacker wrote:Cracking report (actually 2 for the price of 1 trip!) - except for the jokes... :D .

Both islands looking wonderful, but especially the Rum Cuillin - they're on the list....

Why did the cheese lose a fight to a stone? Cos the Roque-fort back :wink:

Pastychomper wrote:Great pictures. I wonder if some of the sections would have been easier if you'd each put a single stilt-on.

Thankyou 8)

litljortindan wrote:Great photos that almost make up for some terrible cheese jokes.

Cheers dude 8) :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland