walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In the land of make-believe

In the land of make-believe

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Route description: Ben Tianavaig, Braes

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Tianavaig

Date walked: 12/07/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 533m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our second day on Skye, very low cloud in the morning, so we agreed that the best would be to climb something low, to hopefully get some views later on. The Trotternish Ridge is so popular with tourists, that we preferred to stay away from places like Storr or Quirang. Having climbed all the Red Cuillin hills, we still had a certain Skye Sub'2000 Marylin on our to-do list. It's been on that list for ages but there was always something else to do and we never had time to explore Ben Tianavaig. Now, time has come to pay true justice to this wee mountain...
There are two approaches to Ben Tianavaig, one from Loch Portee side, another from Loch Tianavaig. We opted for the latter as it looked more interesting on the map. Apart from climbing to the summit (which is said to be a superb viewpoint) we planned to spend some time exploring the "inner sanctuary" of oddly shaped rocks and boulders, situated on the steep eastern slopes. We were not disappointed by this wee traverse and what's important, we stayed away from crazy hordes with selfie sticks, running around, taking silly photos of themselves and posting it on Facebook :roll: We didn't meet anybody when doing the Tianavaig circuit and it looks like this particular walk is still not as popular as the rest of Trotternish Ridge.

Track_BEN TIANAVAIG 12-07.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yes, Ben Tanavaig is technically the termination of the Trotternish Ridge. It's made from the same type of rock and sits at the very end of the giant ancient landslide.The sedimentary rocks from the Jurassic age gave way to the great
weight of the basalt lavas, sitting on top of them. The landslides led to the the creation of awesome labyrinths of huge blocks, pinnacles and other "weirdos". of which The Old Man of Storr and various rocks of The Quirang sanctuary, are the best known examples.
OK, so much for geology. It's an interesting area even if you are not into investigating different types of rocks. It's a secret land of make-believe, where you can forget about the grey reality and for a few hours pretend to be a part of a fairy tale :D
The route from Camustianavaig starts from the car park by the picnic tables, in front of the stony beach. In itself, this is a lovely, quiet spot. A few tourists wandered around when we arrived but no crowds, which was good :D
Tianavaig Bay in the morning:
2018-07-12 skye 006.JPG

We had WH walk description and a Skye guide book with us, which was helpful on the initial stages of the walk. The start of the hill path up Tianavaig is hard to spot and it was overgrown with bracken higher than us! Thankfully, once on the hill slope, the path is not as badly overgrown and easy to follow:
2018-07-12 skye 010.JPG

Looking down to Tianavaig Bay:
2018-07-12 skye 007.JPG

Very quickly, the path comes close to the cliffs and basically 90% of the ascent route follows the edge of the vertical drop, so care should be taken on this route, especially on a windy day. The cliffs drop all the way down to the sea and views are amazing from the very beginning! Initially, the day was cloudy but as time passed, the clag lifted off the higher hills in the south, blue sky appeared above us and we were in for a magnificent adventure in the world of make-believe :D
Cliffy cliffs:
Image2018-07-12 skye 028 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Looking south, Glamaig on the horizon:
Image2018-07-12 skye 021 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Across the water, Isle of Raasay:
2018-07-12 skye 031.JPG

The Red Cuillin:
2018-07-12 skye 032.JPG

Walking up the cliff path:
2018-07-12 skye 035.JPG

Ben Tianavaig is only just over 400m so not very high, but what it lacks in height, it gains in its magnificent scenery. There are a few paths at a different distances to the cliff edge, so pick one that is the most suitable for you. I chose the one closest to the edge:
2018-07-12 skye 040.JPG

As we gained height, we caught the first glimpse of what was yet to come, the "inner sanctum" of Ben Tianavaig, the rocky oddities in the shadow of the big cliff:
2018-07-12 skye 046.JPG

The Sound of Raasay was busy with boats...
2018-07-12 skye 057.JPG

Panther stunned... I knew this was an interesting spot, but didn't expect such views!
2018-07-12 skye 062.JPG

Looking south-east to southern Skye and Scalpay:
2018-07-12 skye 066.JPG

The sanctuary from above - looks like a good place to play hide and seek!
2018-07-12 skye 077.JPG

The final climb to the summit:
2018-07-12 skye 072.JPG

We saw nobody else doing this walk yet were not alone on the slopes of the hill. All around us were birds of different shapes and sizes. One particular individual followed us for most of the way to the summit:
2018-07-12 skye 089.JPG

It's a ring ouzel (Turdus torquatus). According to RSPB : "The ring ouzel is primarily a bird of the uplands, where it breeds mainly in steep sided-valleys, crags and gullies, from near sea level in the far north of Scotland up to 1,200m in the Cairngorms." Did you know that it has red UK conservation status? Which means the population has declined by at least 50% in the last 25 years. I was glad to see these birds jumping happily around us on the slopes of Ben Tianavaig. Obviously, they love the rocky sanctuaries of Trotternish :D
The summit of Ben Tianavaig has a trig point and superb views in abundance. Lucy was in her element!
2018-07-12 skye 106.JPG

...and so was Panther! Looking out in the distance...
2018-07-12 skye 103.JPG

We spent some time on the summit, taking photos and videos. All I can say... BT is a first class viewpoint!
Panoramic view north to the rocks of The Storr and to Portree below:
2018-07-12 skye 096.JPG

The cliffs of Beal Point are nearly 300m high!
2018-07-12 skye 117.JPG

Storr and Old Man zoomed:
2018-07-12 skye 097.JPG

Portee and Outer hebrides on the horizon:
2018-07-12 skye 114.JPG

View east to Raasay and the sanctuary below:
2018-07-12 skye 124.JPG

Panorama south:
2018-07-12 skye 125.JPG

After the long photo session on the summit, we continued along the edge of the cliffs for a short time to a spot, where the angle eases off and offers access to the inner sanctum... To the land of make believe!
Posing on one of many rocky outcrops:
2018-07-12 skye 141.JPG

The descent is steep-ish but a faint path can be followed:
DSCF1180.JPG

In the sanctuary, below the cliffs, we found many places where we could mess around :lol: :lol:
2018-07-12 skye 159.JPG

I was particularly interested in a small pinnacle, looking like a mini-version of the Old Man:
2018-07-12 skye 162.JPG

The rocks above the sanctuary:
2018-07-12 skye 163.JPG

Kevin said, he was officially letting me of the leash so I could run around crazily and meow as much as I wanted :lol: :lol: So I simply had to have a closer look at the mini-Old Man:
2018-07-12 skye 182.JPG

The sanctuary is an amazing place. We investigated every rock and took hundreds of photos, below just a few chosen (with great difficulty :lol: ).
Panoramas of the sanctuary:
DSCF1193.JPG

DSCF1194.JPG

The mini-Old Man seen from the less steep side:
2018-07-12 skye 169.JPG

Panther investigating one of the rocky oddities:
2018-07-12 skye 195.JPG

The lower line of pinnacles, as photographed by Kevin:
2018-07-12 skye 201.JPG

2018-07-12 skye 204.JPG

The lower pinnacles from below:
2018-07-12 skye 216.JPG

Kevin studying the final descent route:
DSCF1210.JPG

Another odd rock on the way down:
Image2018-07-12 skye 224 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
As we descended slowly down to the sea level, past all the rocky weirdos, we found another vague path, which eventually took us down to just above the shoreline:
2018-07-12 skye 255.JPG

As we continued on the path, it seemed at some point that it was going nowhere, but as the available route descriptions said "follow the path at the bottom of the cliffs", we trusted them and continued to iffy-looking passage:
Image2018-07-12 skye 258 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
...only to find out that there was no iffy passage. The path contours below the cliffs and then climbs a short, easier section, and finally traverses to the rocky beach in Camastianavaig. It is overgrown in places, but if you stick to it, you'll emerge on the beach eventually.
2018-07-12 skye 264.JPG

The only obstacle we encountered: giant bracken :lol: :lol:
2018-07-12 skye 266.JPG

Having returned to the car, we still had some time to spend, so we studied the map and WH for a shorter cliff walk. We didn't want to go nowhere near the popular tourist spots, but luckily, there are still quiet places on Skye. One of them is Brothers' Point - Rubha nam Brathairean, just north of The Storr. We drove to Portree first for a compulsory purchase of new sun hats (forgot the old ones from home) then headed north past the Storr madness. Details of our second walk in my next TR. :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: In the land of make-believe

Postby jmarkb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm

A great report on a wee gem of a hill: candidate for the best sub-1500ft hill in Scotland?

The Storr is a good walk: worth suffering the crowds as far as the Old Man. Very few folk venture beyond that and you’ll likely have the rest to yourselves.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Another demonstration of the principle that you don't have to go high to get great hills - this one looks absolutely superb: breathtaking views, and a wonderland of rock formations - a real "land of make-believe".

Some really great pics - not surprised you had difficulty choosing which ones to include in your report.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Yorjick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:47 pm

A great choice of hill for the day. Super photos and lovely to see the ring ouzel. Not seen one for a while!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Thnx everybody :D I'm a bit hectic at the moment, everything delayed, I still haven't posted Part 2 - apologies!!!

Ben Tianavaig might be one of the best Sub'2000ers, for me it's the 2nd best on Skye (after Sgurr na Stri). Easy to climb but so entertaining.

As for the Storr and Quirang, we have been to both so may times that I wanted to go somewhere else, see a different corner of the island. The Trotternish Ridge is best visited out of season, but even then it's still busy :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:57 pm

I think we are following in your footsteps, albeit briefly.

We take the ferry to Heysham on Saturday morning (at an ungodly hour) then drive up to Fort William to do Ben Nevis via CMD, then we head over to Skye for a couple of days, where we will probably do all the touristy things and post things on facebook (that reminds me, I must buy a selfie stick! :wink: ).

Although if the weather is nice I wouldn't mind doing the Garbh Bheinn and Belig horse shoe (or hairpin if we decide to cut it short) as I'm hoping all the tourists will be elsewhere and we will have it to ourselves.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm

oh, by the way, if you (or anyone else) feel like passing on any suggested Skye routes that won't be full of tourists, please feel free, all contributions to my learning are greatly appreciated.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:17 pm

That looked great :D . Went up here some time ago, but the summit was just in the cloud - must go back again. The East face certainly looks interesting from Raasay, and the whole thing looks a bit make-believe from the ferry:

Sack the Juggler wrote:oh, by the way, if you (or anyone else) feel like passing on any suggested Skye routes that won't be full of tourists, please feel free, all contributions to my learning are greatly appreciated.

My top recommendation for somewhere quiet on Skye is Macleod's Maidens and the Duirinish coast:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73534
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Cheers Malky, we may give that a go! :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 pm

malky_c wrote:My top recommendation for somewhere quiet on Skye is Macleod's Maidens and the Duirinish coast:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73534

I'll second that. Great walk and superb views :)

A few more Skye walks from my walk diary:
This one of you are interested in fossils:
Beareraig Bay

Preshal Beg, a very unusual little hill:
Preshal Beg

Cleared Coast Trail - we didn't do the full circuit due to weather, but worth a day:
Suisnish

A shorter coast walk with a ruin:
Hughs Castle

Fairy Glen - no advertising needed:
Fairy Glen

An Aird peninsula, fantastic for wildlife:
An Aird

Sgurr na Stri - takes all day but it's one of the best hills ever!!!
Stri-cly

Bioda Buidhe - almost like Quiraing but away from crowds:
Bioda Buidhe

Hopefully all links work correctly :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland