walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich...Mist Opporchancity

Meall Chuaich...Mist Opporchancity

Postby brpro26 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Date walked: 16/11/2010

Time taken: 4.25 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

No pics for this as I managed to snap my memory card a couple of days ago..nice one.

Day started promisingly enough, managed to survive the drive up the A9(passed the overturned lorry that had happened recently). Set off from layby 94+3/4 and headed up the track. Heard the sound of guns and thought oh dear, not deer!!!
There was a shoot on with all the 4x4's parked up along the track. Reckon I was going to be having one of those Access Rights converations but it passed with a nod and a wink.

Could see the hill ahead and the track going up the shoulder, shooty in I thought. Refuel at the bothy and off again.

Good job it was still a bit frozen under foot as the track would have been quite boggy otherwise. Up into the snowline,
1st of this year and onwards into the now reducing visibility. Took a bearing at what I thought was the turn point to head for the summit. Tried my best to keep on the bearing but it was closing in even more, probably about 10ft, very hard to see any features to head for. Seen some rocks and thought is this it ???? Fanned out in a couple of directions for 50 paces to get a feel for any features but it didn't seem right. I may have been walking on a bearing like a drunken man. I knew that Stac Meall Crags were waiting if I'd strayed that far.

As this was a solo effort I decided to abort and retrace my snowy footprints before I made any more footprints that would have me going round in circles like Robinson Crusoe. :eh: :wtf:

Arrived back down at the bothy and finished off my play-piece, looking up and cursing at the hill.
This is my 1st failure to launch and reckon I need more practice following a bearing in next to zero visibility.

or I'll have to ask Missus Clause if I can get a GPS.

Hasn't a wasted day....stopped at Tisos Perth and licked the windows. :D
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Meall Chuaich...Mist Opporchancity

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Don't worry, we've all had failures like that! It's quite a long pull up Meall Chuaich and, once you reach the boulders, quite a lot further than that. I was surprised how long the climb went on for. Having said that, I thought it was a very nice hill but I was lucky for a change and had decent weather :D
mountain coward

Postby baggervance » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Hard luck brpro26.

I have a Garmin etrex H which up until I got briefly lost at the top of Braeriach had thought was excellent. Even GPS can have an off day :lol: . The one thing I do like about it is that it will always give me a BNG Ref to plot where I am and then I can rely on my trusty compass and map to get me back rather than the (sometimes) scatty pre-programmed track.

Got it for £60 if you want to drop hints to missus brpro26 for crimbo prezzie
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby brpro26 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Aye baggervance gonna have to start dropping hints, I'll drop mine if she drops hers....now there's a xmas present!!!

It's the fact that I was on my own, usually one of our crew has a GPS. So it's about time I got one myself. It's not funny when you start loosing your bearings always best to retreat when if you can and try again another day.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby baggervance » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 pm

You can always use your new GPS to find out where she is in the hoose, wae that kinda offer :lol: :lol:
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland