walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig from Dalrigh

Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig from Dalrigh

Postby maxie23 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 11/08/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20.6 km

Ascent: 1663m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at Dalrigh at 06.30 and parked in the car park.
Heavy rain at this stage so I sat in the car for twenty minutes or so until it relented a bit.
Put waterproofs on and headed down to the white bridge at the River FillanImageRiver Fillan at Dalrigh from the white bridge by robert irvine, on Flickr
Crossed over and headed up the farm track at the side of the railway.ImageView up to Beinn Dubhcraig, misty by robert irvine, on Flickr
Crossed over at the bridgeImageBridge over railway by robert irvine, on Flickr
Once over the bridge, you will see a small cairn on your right hand side after a short distance. If you leave the path here, the field that you have to cross, to get to the footbridge over the Allt Glean Auchreoch, is extremely boggy underfoot, as I found out ( knee deep, squelch ).ImageSwampy field to bridge by robert irvine
Much easier to follow the W H route and stay on the track until you are level with the bridge and then go down the edge of the field.ImageBridge over Allt Glean Auchreoch by robert irvine, on Flickr
What a beautiful looking bridge.
Once across, there are signs of path improvements going on, only for a short distance so far.ImagePath improvements after bridge by robert irvine, on Flickr
After this, the path does become very muddy as it makes its way through Coille Coire Chuilc, which is a beautiful stretch of old forest with a very natural look to it, really enjoyed this stretch, apart from the mud.ImageLovely old trees by robert irvine, on FlickrImageVery natural looking by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then the path leaves the forest.ImageEnd of forest by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBroken stile and fence by robert irvine, on Flickr
You now continue walking along side the Allt Coire Dubhcraig, which has a selection of really nice looking waterfalls as you ascend. ImageAllt Coire Dubchraig by robert irvine, on FlickrImageWaterfall, Allt Coire Dubchraig by robert irvine, on FlickrImageWaterfall, Allt Coire Dubchcraig 2 by robert irvine, on Flickr
From here it is just a case of following the stream uphill, muddy at times, until you arrive on the ridge in front of you at about 900 metres, turn left and follow the path up the short climb to the summit of Beinn Dubhcraig.
Bit of cloud about, so not the best selection of photos. ImageMisty Beinn Dubchcraig summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Dubchcraig summit cairn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBeinn Dubchcraig to Ben Oss by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Oss and Loch Oss by robert irvine, on Flickr
I sat here for a short while and really enjoyed the silence and intermittent views.
Leave the summit and backtrack down to the ridge and then follow the path towards Ben Oss down to the Bealach Buidhe.
Cross over the bealach and watch out for a small cairn on your right.
Leave the main path here and follow the one on your right which heads up towards the ridge.
There is one more drop down before the final pull up to the summit.
Weather had cleared up a bit and the views were a lot better from here.ImageBen and Loch Lomond from Ben Oss summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Ledi from Ben Oss by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLoch Oss from Ben Oss by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBeinn Dubchcraig from Ben Oss by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui and Beinn a Chleibh from Ben Oss summit cairn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Lui summit close up by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBeinn Dubchraig with Crianlarich hills behind by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStob Binnein by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen More by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean by robert irvine, on FlickrImageAn Caisteal, Beinn a Chroin behind and Beinn Chabhair by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBlack clouds over Arrochar Alps by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSummer skies over Beinn Dubchcraig by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCloud skimming over Ben Lui by robert irvine, on Flickr
Sat for a long time and enjoyed the views.
Few other walkers arrived and left, nice to have a chat.
Retraced route to descend, rain came back on again on way down, weather on top was perfect.
Arrived back at car park wet but happy.

Track_BEN OSS 8 AUG 2018.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig from Dalrigh

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Great photos!

I like the look of the approach walk (despite the soggy ground). On my only visit to these hills, that was the last part of the walk, around 8pm - we raced along to get to the chip shop in Tyndrum, without taking a proper look at the surrounding streams and woods.

Makes me realise I should go back there and appreciate the place more fully!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig from Dalrigh

Postby maxie23 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:47 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos!

I like the look of the approach walk (despite the soggy ground). On my only visit to these hills, that was the last part of the walk, around 8pm - we raced along to get to the chip shop in Tyndrum, without taking a proper look at the surrounding streams and woods.

Makes me realise I should go back there and appreciate the place more fully!

Tim

Thanks Tim.

It's just so unusual to see a natural forest these days. :D
Really great piece of woodland and well worth spending a bit of time in.
I know the forestry commission do a great job, but sometimes looking at line after regimented line of trees is a bit boring. :(
I've never had the pleasure of the chip shop in Tyndrum, must try it one day.

Regards
Robert
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland