walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil, Meall Glas & Beinn nan Imirean

Sgiath Chuil, Meall Glas & Beinn nan Imirean

by rockhopper » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Imirean

Date walked: 14/11/2010

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1473m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgiath Chuil, Meall Glas & Beinn nan Imirean

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 pm

How deep was the snow today
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:How deep was the snow today

Well in places as I came back down from the Meal Glas and its ridge I fell in past my knees. But relatively speaking it wasn't bad and it was melting. The melting made for some slippery excitement which I'll discuss in my report which I should have up Monday or Tuesday.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:21 pm

cheers all - I haven't been able to get out this weekend due to family commitments :(

mountain coward wrote:My ice axe is nil cm - it's in inches! Time we gave up all the Euro stuff if you ask me!
mc - imperial rather than metric sizing is probably more accurate for my ice axe given that it's from the 1980's (and I've just finished sanding the paint off and recoating the head, adze and pick with smooth hammerite 8) )

leithy - I'll need to keep practising with the hdr. The weather was starting to clear as I came down Meall Glas and I didn't want to miss the corbett as I had plenty of time left - seemed a pity not to and I'd read about it in one of GraemeDewar's recent WRs

stretch- sounds like the snow was melting today which may have made it even boggier for you - coming from Glasgow, the northern approach adds extra driving time for me so I decided just to go from the south
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland