walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEINN IME - a perfect day

BEINN IME - a perfect day

Postby blueyed » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 14/11/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

what a perfect day it was!!!!
on saturday i was planning my next walk and couldnt really make up my mind between ben lawers and beinn ime. i expected some snow on both of them and wasnt sure where will be more -yes, i wanted more :) finaly decided to head to arrochar.
when alarm went off on sunday morning (actually felt like the middle of the night) 6.00 i just checked situation outside the window and was rather depressed to see heavy rain. then i got up and checked weather forecast for arrochar again - sunshine. impossible to believe. i thought, i'm not loosing anything (just few hours of sleep and few hours drive) lets give it a chance... so i got up :)
i drove in heavy rain utill i reached glasgow (i'm based in edi), then the rain stopped. and i felt some hope for a 'not-too-bad' day. when i arrived to arrochar everything was still asleep, but weather surprised me nicely - hardly any clouds, some blue skies...wow! and this nice frost around. that was a start of one of my best days out ever.

and, the funniest thing - i met the same couple which walked with us 2 weeks ago on an caisteal :)

i left the car park at 9.15 (ticket machine worked!!!) and went towards the glen. it took me exactly an hour to reach the dam (well, i'm not a fast walker, i like enjoying myself and taking pics etc.)
first views to the cobbler were just amazing - a little bit of snow, blue sky and yellowish grass. stunning!
i was surprised how busy it was -plenty of people here and there.
walk thru the glen was a nice one, views -perfect, the path itself was frozen :)
finally i reached bealach a'mhain, had some hot tea and started ascent to beinn ime. a little bit boggy but most of the time bog was frozen (great!!!) so that actually wasnt too bad.
about half way up beinn ime, the snow started. again, i think it is so much better to walk on snow than on the bog. snow was quite deep at some points, deepest was, i think, knee deep.
final 20 mins the 'path' was 'icy snow' and that was quite unpleasant. when i finally reached the summit, the cloud covered everything :( i met 2 guys on the summit, we had few words and each of us started descent. i decided to fix my crampons for the ascent and i must say it was quite a good idea.
i came back the same way. the whole route took me exactly 7 hrs.
i must mention - the views from beinn ime were spectacular, in every direction.
i will definitely go back to visit mr ime in the future :)
you can find more pictures here : http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2010/11/beinn-ime.html
Attachments
DSC_9457.jpg
loch long, still asleep
DSC_9463.jpg
Benny L -first views
DSC_9466.jpg
beinn narnainn
DSC_9467.jpg
spot the walker :)
DSC_9468.jpg
mr cobbler & mr narnainn
DSC_9474.jpg
frozen path
DSC_9478.jpg
DSC_9489.jpg
DSC_9493.jpg
beinn narnainn from start of the path to the cobbler
DSC_9507.jpg
DSC_9513.jpg
beinn ime, summits
DSC_9520.jpg
beinn narnainn & ben lomond
DSC_9524.jpg
shy mr lomond
DSC_9525.jpg
deep snow
DSC_9526.jpg
DSC_9528.jpg
just managed before the cloud's eaten my views!
DSC_9530.jpg
the summit. recognise me by blue crampons :)
DSC_9534.jpg
oh no, the cloud again!
DSC_9536.jpg
down again, beinn ime
DSC_9539.jpg
anyone recognises himself?
DSC_9542.jpg
reminds me of mushrooms...
DSC_9544.jpg
last rays of light
Last edited by blueyed on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: BEINN IME - a perfect day

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Nice pics there - I have to say the blue crampons must be pretty unusual - I've only ever really seen yellow straps before! :lol:

I have to say that Beinn Ime is just about my perfect winter hill :D
mountain coward

Postby blueyed » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 pm

yeah, crampons -blue is kind of unusual, i've only seen yellows and blacks before :) those i bought overseas
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Stretch » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Some nice pics there blueyed. Think you may have put the date down wrong as you said you did this Sunday, which was the day after Gammy and I were up there. By not going Saturday you missed out on the exciting 50mph wind gusts and horizontal snow blasts! :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Blue crampons to match the blue eyes?? :D

Looks like a great day & some cracking photos - really like the first one of the misty loch.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 am

Beautiful area, great pictures and report :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby soulminer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Ela,
You did seem to enjoy your walk :) Some nice images as well.
Will stop and talk the next time instead of just a 'Hi'
Davie
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland