walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Leagag a fine wee hill and loads of deer

Leagag a fine wee hill and loads of deer

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Leagag

Date walked: 14/08/2018

Time taken: 3.35 hours

Distance: 9.71 km

Ascent: 417m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After 3 Munros without any views it was time to refocus. The forecast remained pretty much the same, grey, cloudy and potentially very wet. Although this is the 10th highest Sub 2k I was optimistic that it’s summit would be below the cloud line but would it escape the rain? The good lady in tow today.
start.jpg

The Start Leagag on left
We parked up about 100m from the start in Bridge of Gaur and walked up the road. A well spoken elderly man stopped and asked where we were going. Put it this way the hill has only 6 letters and I was well out on the pronunciation, no surprise there, put right by an Englishman, humiliated off we went.
stags.jpg

First deer herd
The hill top could be seen from the gate at the start, clear of rain and cloud so optimism. There is a very good track for the first mile or so.
Off to the right we spotted a herd of deer on a far off ridge, mainly stags, a good start. The rain has started, heavy not so good. Despite the gloom there is the impressive bulk of Meall Garbh directly ahead.
red rocks.jpg

Iron red rocks
The rocks in the burn are an unusual reddish colour. Looking at the map a ‘Bloomery Mound’ is marked. It turns out this is a medieval mound used for iron smelting, the legacy clearly lasts a long, long time.
IMG_8379.JPG

Turn left here
A small cairn marks the spot to turn off left unless you want to walk on up into Glen Lyon. The track is now wet and boggy underfoot as it circles around the back of Meall Dubh. You can go straight up but this is easier for the good lady, the moans will start soon.
big herd.jpg

Some of the 2nd herd
We came to a sudden stop as a herd of over 100 red deer are down below us on the moor. They have spotted us but not concerned yet. A mixed herd, the stags with velvet antlers so I presume a younger group. After a minutes stand off they run for it. The rain was heavy but I risked camera damage and got a couple of hazy long shots.
Leagag.jpg

Head up to Leagag no path now
They headed up the grassy slopes we were heading for which was helpful as they laid tracks through the bracken, easier walking for us. Just pick a spot and leave the track and head for the grassy slope. Leagag can be seen but not the cairn.
trig to LR.jpg

Loch Rannoch
It was tough going for the good lady but before long we reached a heather shoulder which was better walking. The views were great despite the low clouds.
Another sharp but short ascent and we were at the cairn.
trig to GL.jpg

Towards Glen Lyon Munros
The views were well worth it and I would love to see it with clear visibility. The Glen Lyon Munros stand out in bulk but their summits shrouded in cloud.
Meandering burn.jpg

Meandering river
The glen below look fantastic with the twisting Luban Feith a’ Mhadaidh sparkling in the odd glimpse of the sun. The views down Loch Rannoch don’t disappoint except sadly Schiehallion can’t be seen.
The wind has really picked up, buffeting us, so a more direct route off the hill, more or less straight down to the inward track and then easier walk back.
lichen.jpg

Lichen
The sun briefly comes out, butterflies start flying and we spend some time admiring the lichen covered rocks. How long did it take for the lichen to cover this rock?
The rain flanks us, the top of Leagag is covered but we make the car dry.
A surprisingly good little hill and glad we went. I would love to see the views on a clear air day, I suspect they will be grand indeed. The good lady declined the offer of doing the other nearby sub 2k, Meall Chomraidh, instead we visited the Rannoch Stations tearoom, coffee and large portions cake, a better idea.
Wildlife: Red deer, Meadow pipit, Dunnock, Scotch Argus.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Leagag a fine wee hill and loads of deer

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Always quite liked the look of a route taking in this one and its little neighbour but never seen too much in the way of TRs for it. Good to see. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Leagag a fine wee hill and loads of deer

Postby desmondo1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks, they would be straightforward to do together either cut across the admittedly poor terrain linking the two or go up the track where I parked my car then a quick up to wee summit and back. I will drag the good lady up the wee one when we are back next year lol. Enjoy.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland