walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from Crianlarich

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from Crianlarich

Postby sarahlouisehall1804 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 16/08/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello all!
For those also looking for easy public transport walks, doing these hills from Crianlarich is a good option. This was the first time I have hiked solo in Scotland, having only started solo hiking in the last year or so. The weather was pretty bad, and sometimes low visibility, so it was a good test for navigation and keeping up moral. The hardest nav part was probably the forestry for me, as I didn't know Crianlarich village and there are so many paths that I was worried I wasn't on the one I thought I was on... if that makes sense! :shock: But whilst I doubted myself momentarily and backtracked for a few mins, I found some good points to work out my location from and was on track after all, so it was a good learning experience. Anyway, here are some notes about the route:

Exiting the train station, walk down the road towards the SYHA, and go down to the car park on the right sign posted 'mountain view'. From here, go over the little bridge and pick up the 'tourist' track until you come to the signpost for the forest. Follow this, picking up the forestry road for a while. The road splits twice, take the left the second time and carry on uphill, with the grey heights on your right. After a while there is a sneaky cairn on cutting up hill, following this cuts off a corner so you recross the road and carry on off-road up hill through some very, very boggy trees... I would gladly hear any recommendations of alternatives to this route, as it is pretty unpleasant!! I didn't pick a dry day which didn't help :P Once out of the bog, head up towards the ridge, and once there it is easy to follow the ridge along to the Grey Heights, and from there Cruach Ardrain. Or in low visibility the ground is wide and easy walking, slightly wet in places but mostly no problem.

You can pick which munro you do first, it is not necessary to summit Cruach Ardrain first, although you do a large amount of the ascent anyway. I went up Cruach Ardrain first, and if going this way, make sure to bear more left/ east for the way up to the summit. I think there is a turn off in the path but I must have missed it, so chose to cross up hill before it got too steep. Very little visibility on the summit! I retraced back south-west, found a path again where there was an obvious cairn and path divide heading towards Beinn Tulaichean. Lovely stroll along the ridge and easy summit, then returned back along, picked up the lower path to avoid Cruach Ardrain again (although it does feel like you do most of the re-ascent...) And headed back the way I came. Finally got a bit clearer weather! Although the return descent of the bog through the trees was probably even more unpleasant than the first time, and I had very very wet feet by the time I returned to Crianlarich. Had a well deserved cuppa in the pub before getting the 19:30 train back to Edinburgh (via Glasgow). All in all a very happy, if soggy, day out.
sarahlouisehall1804
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:17
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:38   Islands:18

Re: Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from Crianlarich

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks! - you are right, these hills are among the rare ones accessible by public transport!

A very useful report for those doing the walk straight from the village.

I did them from a short distance along the A82 and this made the ascent to the ridge dry-ish underfoot, and very pleasant with great views.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81151

From the same start point, An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin are equally easily reached, another walk that is feasible by train!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80675

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland