walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Closer to the Heavens - a Perfect way to say Goodbye

Closer to the Heavens - a Perfect way to say Goodbye

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:56 am

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 14/07/2018

44 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SCNL Summit Camp

Losing someone close can take its toll…. Before my Mum passed she wrote me a letter and I said to her and myself I wanted to keep it for a time when I was as close to the heavens as I could get and this trip was the appropriate spot and time for this…

2018 – what a summer!! With tent having been finally taken out of storage after the winter (I had planned a few winter camps but time seemed to beat me) I had taken full advantage of the superb weather that Western Europe had been experiencing. After a fine few days out in Applecross with Thomas Heaton, I was keen to get out ASAP and had my heart set on the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan in Glencoe.

Arriving to the pipes in the Coe, I was soon heading up the familiar path, passing the day adventures on their way down. I often get asked about the weight in my pack and although I don’t weigh it, the only time I did, the weight of the camera and filming equipment actually equaled the weight of all the camping gear combined! Although not a light weight traveler (impossible to do with all the equipment !) I do try and carry as little water as possible due to the weight it adds. A Sawyer filter accompanies me and today it came in handy as I reached the corrie and filled up for the night ahead. If I thought the trek up to this point was tough going, I was about to really feel the weight as I carried on to the corrie rim and make my way round the famous cliffs. There was no rush so I slowly trekked on upwards and took frequent stops. Its amazing how the troubles of normal life leave you in these conditions, although I had one very important reason for coming up here which is explained at the end of the video and made this trip an extremely emotional one for me (see video and first paragraph)….

ImageRidge and Ben Nevis by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

My main concern on the ascent was related to finding a suitable pitch on the summit of SCNL. I have been up here loads, but the majority of these visits have been when a deep layer of snow has settled! I didn’t want a repeat of my Torridon trip a few years previously when I spent about 90 minutes searching for a flat piece of ground without tent shredding rocks!!! My fears were growing as the entire journey round the corrie to the summit comprised of said sharp rocks!!

However as I reached the summit I spied a flat area of grass about 5 meters from the summit which turned out to be perfect for the tent (a one man tent that is!!!).

I set about setting up for the night and was done by sevenish. A few hours to play with, so I decided to head to Bidean. A lovely (pack less) trip saw me stood atop of Argyll and Bute all by myself , a wonderful moment (better was to come though).

A little more than an hour after setting off from SCNL , I returned and set about replenishing the lost calories, the light was absolutely magical and I had a glorious vista to enjoy whilst scoffing my evening dinner.

He next few hours were some of the best (an emotional) I have enjoyed on the mountain and I hope the video , and photos , does it justice. It was the perfect way and place to read my letter and say goodbye in my own way.

ImageGlencoe summit at Sunset by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageDusk above Loch Leven by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageMountain Layers by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBacking Glencoe mountain by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A few tears shed and night was soon gathering seed around me. I got my head down and woke a few hours later at 3.30am.

The dawn light lit the sky and heart filled the skies above me (perhaps a sign). A few more photos taken, but I spent more time just enjoying my surroundings and counting my lucky stars that I was privileged enough to be in this spot in these conditions.

Imagemessage in the sky by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The adventure wasn’t over yet. I decided to head back down the other side of the corrie and a few tricky steps later (well tricky with a huge ruck sack on!!) I was back in the corrie and beating a retreat to the car. Early morning whilst most of the world slept and I had enjoyed yet another fabulous adventure and met deer, bunting and a host a wildlife the majority of the population may never see.

How lucky are we who stay so close to these sacred mountains……

ImageMountains upon Mountains by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Closer to the Heavens - a Perfect way to say Goodbye

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:25 am

Wow. A bit lost for words really.

A wonderful way to remember your mum amongst the peace and serenity of the hills. Thank you for sharing your moment with us.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Fingal2018 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you for sharing what I think is a fantastic trip report and vlog in itself, as well as the emotional motivation for the trip. I am with you - I lost my Mum last year and for lack of the Scottish mountains on my doorstep, I ended up flying half way around the world and found a similarly stunning place for solace and saying goodbye.
Fingal2018
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Sick Kid » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Beautiful! A very moving and tear jerking report but what a perfect way to say goodbye. You will never forget this one and those photographs are simply stunning! Thanks for sharing xxx
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Bidean is a wonderful spot for sunrise isn't it!! An amazing trip you will never forget, the mountains are so therapeutic aren't they :D As always absolutely wonderful shots 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Bruno » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Lost for words. Beautiful, stunning. Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy your reports and films, but this was special. Thank you.
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Wow. A bit lost for words really.

A wonderful way to remember your mum amongst the peace and serenity of the hills. Thank you for sharing your moment with us.

Thank you Mal, she'll always be there wit me, especially up on the mountains :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Fingal2018 wrote:Thank you for sharing what I think is a fantastic trip report and vlog in itself, as well as the emotional motivation for the trip. I am with you - I lost my Mum last year and for lack of the Scottish mountains on my doorstep, I ended up flying half way around the world and found a similarly stunning place for solace and saying goodbye.

Thanks Fingal, I wasnt sure as whether to include this in the report and/ video but glad I did as Ive managed to speak and share this moment and likewise ones with so many others. Seemed an appropriate thing to do on such a wonderful evening in an amazing location

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Sick Kid wrote:Beautiful! A very moving and tear jerking report but what a perfect way to say goodbye. You will never forget this one and those photographs are simply stunning! Thanks for sharing xxx

Thank you - makes a special place even more speical now :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Jaxter wrote:Bidean is a wonderful spot for sunrise isn't it!! An amazing trip you will never forget, the mountains are so therapeutic aren't they :D As always absolutely wonderful shots 8)

Thanks Jaxter. yes - you are absolutely right - this will be with me for ever .. it was a special evening

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Bruno wrote:Lost for words. Beautiful, stunning. Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy your reports and films, but this was special. Thank you.
Iain

Thanks Ian - very much appreciated

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Sick Kid wrote:Beautiful! A very moving and tear jerking report but what a perfect way to say goodbye. You will never forget this one and those photographs are simply stunning! Thanks for sharing xxx

Nothing to add.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jimbell21 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Sensational report, video and images! What a perfect moment you had up there to read your letter. I'm so glad I stumbled across this report as have just spent about 2 hours watching your other amazing videos on YouTube! Top man!
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:50 pm

jimbell21 wrote:Sensational report, video and images! What a perfect moment you had up there to read your letter. I'm so glad I stumbled across this report as have just spent about 2 hours watching your other amazing videos on YouTube! Top man!

Thanks Jim- hope you enjoy the vlogs and reports - hopefully more to com in 2019

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Sorry I never saw this when you posted. Couple of things: really impressive technical and editing ability. Secondly, you have a memory there of a wonderful experience that will live with you and remind you of your mum. Very touching.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

44 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland