walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui second time around

Ben Lui second time around

Postby maxie23 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a'Chleibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 20/08/2018

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 2447m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second trip to Ben Lui from Dalrigh.
I tried it a week before on the 13th of August.
The weather started off wet and misty and got worse as the day wore on.
It's up there somewhere.jpg
It's up there somewhere
Ben Lui hiding.jpg
Ben Lui hiding
Central gully.jpg
Central Gully

I made it as far as the ridge past Stob Garbh and then had a really bad feeling as the visibility deteriorated.
I turned back and descended.
Never felt like this on a hill before.

Track_BEN LUI FAIL 13 AUG 2018.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Back up to Dalrigh on August 20th, weather a lot better.
Arrived at the car park at 12.30, which is late for me but no choice today.
Began the long trek up to Ben Lui.ImageBen More and Stobinnein from car park by robert irvine, on FlickImageBeinn Dubhchraig by robert irvine, on Flickrr[url=https://flic.kr/p/29fAkpf]ImageTurn off for West Highland Way by robert irvine, on FlickrImage[/url]Railway bridge by robert irvine, on Flickr
It's actually quite a pleasant walk on a very good track all the way up to Cononish farm.
It really is more of a road than a track and you have the river on your left.
The farther you go, the more Ben Lui begins to dominate the view ahead, it really is a beautiful looking mountain.ImageBen Lui from river Cononish by robert irvine, on Flickr
On the way, I passed a herd of cows, with a few calf's and a huge scary looking bull.
More about this laterImageScary cows by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBig bull and girlfriend by robert irvine, on Flickr
Once you pass Cononish farm, the three lane motorway reverts back to a farm track.ImageEnd of road, start of track by robert irvine, on Flickr
Still easy walking at this stage, as you pass by Ben Oss on your left.ImageBen Oss by robert irvine, on Flickr
At the end of the track, you have to cross over the Allt an Rund before beginning the initial climb.
Not a lot of water in it today.ImageAllt an Rund crossing by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then you follow the path on the right hand side of Allt Coire Ghaothaich up into the bowl of the mountain, nothing to strenuous yetImageAllt Coire Ghaothaich by robert irvine, on Flickr
From here, the view looked like something out of the Lost World.
.ImageUp we go, looks almost primeval by robert irvine, on Flickr
On the way up there are some lovely waterfalls to view. ImageWaterfall 1 by robert irvine, on FlickrImageWaterfall 2 by robert irvine, on FlickrImageWaterfall 3 by robert irvine, on Flickr
On this attempt, I decided to leave the path a bit earlier and turned right and began to ascend up towards Stob GarbhImageView up to summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView back down by robert irvine, on Flickr
I could not see any evidence of a path, so I just headed up towards the ridge.
It was a bit steep and a bit of an effort, but before long you arrive on the ridge and the views really begin to open out from here.ImageView from shoulder of ridge by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView from ridge to Beinn Chuirn by robert irvine, on Flickr
From here you just follow the path on the ridge all the way up to the summit.ImageRidge up to summit by robert irvine, on Flickr
On the way, I passed the spot where I had a bad experience last week.
Today, with clear weather, you could see that there was nothing there to be wary of. Funny the way your mind behaves when you cannot see things in front of you.
The path becomes more rocky as you ascend and there are one or two simple steps to negotiate, as well as a couple of exposed drops on your left, but nothing to worry about.
Then you arrive at the summit plateau and you have a view across to the true summit.ImageView from summit to true summit by robert irvine, on Flickr
As you cross to the summit cairn, the views down into Central Gully are awesome.
Respect to anybody who comes up this way, it looks steep.
Then, as I arrived at the cairn, the weather began to close in, bugger.ImageSummit cairn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageOld git on misty peak by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Oss, Beinn Dubhchraig and Crianlarich hills behind by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView from summit to North summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView from summit back down River Cononish by robert irvine, on Flickr
Also, there was no wind here and lots and lots of midges began to appear.
I made the decision not to hang about and went back and joined the path to Beinn a Cleibh.ImageTo Beinn a Chleibh, weather closing in. by robert irvine, on Flickr.
It is quite a drop down to the bealach and the climb back up to Beinn a Cleibh looks a very short one.ImageBig rock with Arrochar Alps behind by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView back up Ben Lui from bealach by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBeinn a Chleibh from bealach by robert irvine, on Flickr
After what seemed like an eternity coming down Ben Lui, you arrive at the summit of Beinn a Cleibh in no time at all.ImageSummit cairn, Beinn a Chleibh by robert irvine, on Flickr
I continued on past the summit and came to the second cairn.
Here there was a lovely breeze and no midges, so I sat for a while and had a bite to eat.
Unfortunately, the weather was still a bit claggy so the views were not too good, but hey ho.ImageBen Cruachan group with Loch Awe to left by robert irvine, on Flickr
I had a look over at Ben Lui and noticed that the weather seemed to be improving, so I decided to go back up to the summit and try and get some nicer photos as the sun began to descend.ImageBen Lui clear again, quick back up by robert irvine, on Flickr
After a long pull back up, I arrived at the top just as the weather closed in again, bugger.
Summit cairn through mist.jpg
Summit cairn through mist
View to Beinn a Chleibh, honest.jpg
View to Beinn a Cleibh, honest.

Looking back down towards Cononish river and farm, the descent route was nice and clear, so I decided to head down, evening was really approaching now and I am scared of the dark.
View down River Cononish, that looks a long track back to car park.jpg
View down River Cononish, that looks a long way back to the car park
Descent ridge nice and clear.jpg
Descent ridge, nice and clear

What happened next shows that it is important to check your bearings before setting off anywhere.
I spent a good ten minutes descending down before I realised I was on the wrong ridge and heading towards Tyndrum.
Luckily enough, there was no one around to see my mistake and it will remain a secret.
Any way, back up and then down again on the correct route.
I left the ridge a bit earlier than on the way up, on a path that I had noticed while ascending.
It was an uneventful descent from here and I arrived back at the Allt an Rund just as the sun was beginning to set.
Last look at Big Ben Lui.jpg
Last look at Ben Lui

From here, it was a bit of a trek down as it began to get dark, on with the head torch.
Remember the herd of cows and the big bull.
Well they had decided to mill about in the center of the road as I approached.
One of the few things that I know about cows is that they can be quite protective when they have calves with them, and don't forget the big bull.
Big bull.jpg
I'm going to get you

I now spent the next few minutes trying to pass by the herd as slowly and as quietly as possible.
They will not move out of the way and they really stare at you in an evil way.
Once past, I continued back to the car park and arrived just as my head torch batteries ran out, I didn't think I would be using it today, always check them beforehand,
Quite an eventful and long day, really enjoyed it though.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:58   Corbetts:8
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland