walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fionn Bheinn, What Views!

Fionn Bheinn, What Views!

Postby Jokester » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Route description: Fionn Bheinn, Achnasheen

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 19/08/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.17 km

Ascent: 787m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fionn Bheinn seems to get a bad rap, but I have to say, this was a very enjoyable short day out.

Parked at the train station in Achnasheen and it's just a short walk across the main road and then over the old road bridge. It's well sign posted directly walkers up a new track up the slope past a new hydro scheme

ImageIMG_0546 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0547 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0550 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back down the track to Achnasheen

ImageIMG_0553 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
First view towards the summit

Eventually the track ends at a weir (for measuring water flow rate down the burn). It's an easy crossing here, with a couple of well placed rocks.

ImageIMG_0554 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

From here there was some faint landrover tracks heading upwards, so with no where else to go, it seemed like a good idea to follow them.

ImageIMG_0557 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Gets a bit wet though

These tracks though quickly ended and it didn't leave any option other than to just make my own way through the bog, but it was only a matter of a few 100 metres before I came across another footpath that followed the burn up the hill.

ImageIMG_0559 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back down the path

Again, this path petered out half way up, so from there I just made a direct line to the ridge line hoping to pick the main path up from there.

ImageIMG_0562 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
On the ridge, looking up at the summit cairn

Once back on the main path, it was a short walk to the summit. Much quicker than I expected, what was going to be lunch was now a 11am brunch at the top.

ImageIMG_0593 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Summit cairn with the Torridon Giants in the background

The views from the top are excellent.

ImageIMG_0577 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Loch Fannoch

ImageIMG_0584 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Torridon Giants

ImageIMG_0585 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Slioch

ImageIMG_0586 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Fisherfield Munros

ImageIMG_0578 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Fannoch Munros

To have a change of scenery on the way down, I had decided to follow the WH route along the wall and then down. There is a clear path to follow for this along the east ridge

ImageIMG_0594 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0595 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back at the summit cairn

ImageIMG_0596 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
The wall

ImageIMG_0600 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
The wall (again)

From what I could remember of the guide on WH, you follow the wall until there's an obvious path heading down. After a bit of walking I can see the path heading down below me, so I decide to leave the wall and head straight to it over rough ground. Once reaching the path though and looking back up, the path clearly heads straight up to a break in the wall and then continues straight on the otherside of it.

ImageIMG_0601 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

It's a fairly interesting path down, and certainly no where near as wet as the path up.

ImageIMG_0604 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
First gate

ImageIMG_0605 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Towards the second gate

ImageIMG_0608 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Path through the trees

ImageIMG_0610 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Back at the main road

Once back down at the road it's 10minutes walk back to the car park.

Lovely day out!
Attachments

Track 033.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland