walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pleasant stroll on Cat Law - despite the hail stones

Pleasant stroll on Cat Law - despite the hail stones

Postby rob munbett » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cat Law

Date walked: 24/08/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 393m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was heading up to Mar Lodge for a long weekend with friends and I felt like breaking the journey with a stroll up this Graham. It was a bit of a detour but well worth it, despite the poor weather. As per many reports, I parked at the old stone gateway at Balintore and walked east along the road for a few hundred metres, went through a gate and then headed diagonally up though a grassy fiend to the corner of the small forest plantation. I passed through 2 metal gates to reach a great vehicle track, much of it grassy, which led all the way to the trig pillar, which left only a short walk over to the small summit cairn to the north.
P1040004(1).JPG
The grassy track up Cat Law
P1040003(1).JPG
The ascent of Cat Law
All the way up I had been battered by squalls scudding through on the strong winds so I was glad to see several substantial shelter cairns close to the summit just across the wire fence.
P1040009(1).JPG
The small summit cairn
P1040014(1).JPG
One of the shelter-cairns
The weather started to deteriorate so it was no place to linger. I headed back down, now battered by hailstones the size of peas which stung even through the gore-tex gear. I was pleased to get back to the car to resume my journey to Braemar, but happy that I been out to stretch my legs a bit
view north from Cat law(1).JPG
The view north from Cat law

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland