walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Loch Tay duo

South Loch Tay duo

Postby Coop » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Route description: Creagan na Beinne, Ardtalnaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Creagan na Beinne

Fionas included on this walk: Shee of Ardtalnaig

Date walked: 28/08/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Theres parking for about 3 cars about 50 m before the cemetery.
Difficult route finding to start. Fences, paths, tracks and drystone walls all going everywhere and a few leading to dead ends with a grouse feeding cage at the end.
Eventually got on a path of sorts.
Went up the next zig zag way on the map - along from the WH way up. Fairly good stalkers path following a wall until it Peter's out and then it's a case of where you want to cut up and hit the fenceline. Over a gate and followed the fenceline to the summit.
Once at the cairn- if the mist is down don't follow the fenceline, try and pick up a path of sorts heading south.
Told myself I wasn't going on to the Graham - "unpronouneceable proper name" then as I came round and down a bit, it showed promise and the summit was clear.
I didn't go all the way along and down to the old house. I cut down fairly early off the hill and aimed for where the tracks join and my 2nd ascent.
Fairly steep going down so care taken.
Joined the ascent track and headed up and round until it stops. Theres a few weird goalpost things here beside some butts.
And the Mist came back down!!
Steep heading up for the final couple of hundred then onto a kinda flat plateau/ridgeline.
Contender for the smallest cairn on a hill here!!
Mist still down but I still had a good view of the impressive cleft on my right as I passed. The whole walk is worth it for this.
It would be a nice ridge walk if it was clear. It is also full of peat hags but it's easy enough to navigate through them- not too wet and soggy.
As i started coming down there's another join of tracks - one going towards the woods and one going to the farmhouse. I aimed down the hill for these. Stalkers paths galore again but just kept going down steeply and onto the track.
Good walk round and down to the "main road " again.
The distance ive given is a rough estimate.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland