walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up the cobbler on a foggy day in august

Up the cobbler on a foggy day in august

Postby Tinatheslowwalker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 02/08/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 800m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First time hiking holidays all by myself in an unknown country – I was quite excited!
Thanks god there is a website like walkinghighlands so I had lots of trips planned. One was the trip up the cobbler. Because I read some reports before my trip I knew that it could be dangerous with bad weather. In the morning when I left my hotel after a big breakfast it was quite misty and wet.

I was wearing sport clothes and my hiking boots, I had snacks with me and two bottles of water and a print of the route from the website.

I found the entrance easily and was quite motivated and did the first part with a fast pace. At the last tree before part 2 I was soaked in sweat! The weather hasn’t changed and I didn’t have any views down to arrochar and loch long.
The 2nd part was wonderful to walk, I loved the small paths, the crossing rivers and the quiteness of the place.
nebelig.jpg
misty on the way up
Even tough I couldn’t see more than 10meters ahead most of the time and couldn’t see the coppler at all. At the Narnain boulders I had my first little snack.
stein.jpg
At the Narnain Boulders

I would recommend every walker to take a print of the step by step route with them. Everything was quite easy to find for me. So at the fork I turned right and kept going passing propably some nice places I didn’t see because of the fog.
I wished someone whould have told me that at the bottom of part 3 would be a good time to take a break. I didn’t have one and struggeld a bit with the steep steps, it was so exhausting!
stufen.jpg
My enemy
But I did it and climped all the way up.
When I saw the path down I knew for sure I’ll go back the steps again. Could you imagine? There was no path seen, just fog.
abstieg.jpg
No way I'm going this way!
But before my return I turned right and went up the cobbler. Up there I had my peanut butter sandwichs which I packed for that moment. I imagined having a nice view with my lunch, but anyway I was proud that I had done it. I didn’t bother going up the needle tough.

On my way back down it cleared up and I had the most wonderful view. And I noticed there were sheeps beside me all the way up when I struggeld with the stairs :D They surely know some curses now.
schafe.jpg
Sneeky sheeps were hidden in fog
Such a contrast to the way up!
abstieg 2.jpg

It’s a wonderful walk and I would do it anytime again 😊
Also, I don't know how to turn photos - sorry!
Tinatheslowwalker
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland