walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone a straightforward Corbett with an enjoyable end

Morrone a straightforward Corbett with an enjoyable end

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 15/08/2018

Time taken: 3.12 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 605m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Route as per WH so not added
A forecast of wet and windy in the west led me to follow Judith’s tip (BBC weather) of heading to the east so Braemar was the pick. Three Munro tops in cloud I wanted to see something, fingers crossed.
IMG_8390.JPG

Morrone from track start
I parked in Braemar village centre car park, free parking and toilets and walked through the village and heading up the road. A Coop if you want provisions. This road passes the site where the Highland Gathering is being readied. At the top of tes road there is a car park you could use if time was an issue.
I walked on by following the signed track. A short while later in a different brain world I followed the circular route until I slowly realised height not being gained so back tracked to the main path.
path.jpg

Easy tourist track
Follow the sign right and now you cannot go wrong as the path meanders up the hillside. It is a tourist hill so a very wide track at times.
So far so good no rain but windy and cold so light jacket on ( remind myself it is summer).
braemar.jpg

Braemar
Looking around there are super views of Braemar and the hills behind. On my left Lochnagar stands out. Braemar castle in sight, good stuff.
5 cairns.jpg

5 cairns
Not sure why but there are five small cairns ahead but they are a marker to pass as you head for the mast at the summit, built to increase reception for the mountain rescue.
barren.jpg

Barren landscape but mast now in sight
There are very few people on the hill today but amidst this desolate landscape section I spot a bit of wildlife, one mountain hare.
mast.jpg

Messy summit
Now at the top, there is a round trig and the wider all round views are superb from Lochnagar via Cairnwell via the Cairngorm massifs, although all the west Munro tops still in cloud so a good choice staying a bit lower.
Lochnagar.jpg

View to Lochnagar
Despite the biting wind time is spent taking it all in trying to identify all of the tops and passes.
descent.jpg

Descent track
Rather than just take the up and down like everyone else I saw today I walked the long way round. A hard packed service road is not easy walking for the descent but the views make up for it and you cannot go wrong. Apart from one girl coming up, so well wrapped up I felt for her, definitely not a local, not another person met on the descent.
old road.jpg

Old road back to Braemar
Heaingd down amidst the grouse moors I sprung quite a few of them, then at the bottom follow the old road round Morrone, pleasant alongside the river back to Braemar.
Good old Judith was right, mixed weather but no rain, a good day for a walk.
sun.jpg

Make me happy sunflowers
Even some sunflowers to bring brightness to the day and a smile to my face.
Final stretch across the beautiful golf course which is deserted, why? Butterflies are flying I have grainy not well focused snaps of what I believe is the Northern Brown Argus, and also a Mountain Ringlet, two firsts.
A good choice and another excellent walk.
Looking forward to Mount Blair tomorrow hope weather is the same.
Wildlife: A single mountain hare, Red Grouse, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Northern Brown Argus, Mountain Ringlet.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:40
Grahams:39   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:120   
Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland