walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Addering up the Munros

Addering up the Munros

Postby KatTai » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlamain and Sgàirneach Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Udlamain, Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 30/08/2018

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another two Munro's today - Beinn Udlamain and Sgairneach Mhor finishing off the little group on the A9. Parked at layby 79 - if heading for the bigger layby it is 81 not 80 as said in the route description. We followed the route under the railway crossing a ford and heading along the track having a close call with a female Adder. Moss (on the lead) had already walked right in front of her before I noticed she was there! Fortunately Moss didn't notice the adder and the adder didn't get defensive.

1.jpg

3.jpg

We took the first bridge and turned onto a boggy path leading up the hill that was faint or non-existent in places. Moss was happy to have lots of pools to lie and play in!

4.jpg

5.jpg

The path led into a gully. There were a few tracks leading up out of it so it was a case of picking one and heading up! Out of the gully there was a bit of boggy ground to cover before reaching a good track that led pretty much all the way to the summit of Beinn Udlamain.

6.jpg

8.jpg

The shoulder leading up to the next summit - Sgairneach Mhor- could be seen and we headed in that general direction picking up another track which faded into nothing however the path heading up to the shoulder was clear to be seen and we just headed towards that staying on higher ground to avoid the worst of the boggy ground. The path looks very steep from a distance but up close it isn't as bad as it looked. The path disappeared in the boulder field but the fence posts provided a guide and it wasn't long before we reached the second summit.

13.jpg

14.jpg

There was a path that continued to follow the fence posts down from the summit before the pathless descent started. Every now and then tracks appeared but the disappeared until a clear path formed for the last stretch down to the main track which was followed all the way back to the layby!

16.jpg
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Addering up the Munros

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 am

Been some time since I visited these two, but lucky you seeing an adder. I've still never seen one in the wild :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Jim777 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Sure I saw you, I was on my own wearing a colourful Patagonia top. Probably 10 to 15 years since I saw a live adder in the wild, it was up Glen Artney, and it didn't hang about long enough to be photographed so you're very lucky indeed. Nice looking dog Moss, I used to take my long departed collie. Perhaps I should start looking for a new four legged friend to take with me. Good report and good pics.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby KatTai » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Jim777 wrote:Sure I saw you, I was on my own wearing a colourful Patagonia top. Probably 10 to 15 years since I saw a live adder in the wild, it was up Glen Artney, and it didn't hang about long enough to be photographed so you're very lucky indeed. Nice looking dog Moss, I used to take my long departed collie. Perhaps I should start looking for a new four legged friend to take with me. Good report and good pics.

Was that on your way down from Beinn Udlamain just after the rain?

I've been lucky enough to see a few adders, though I would rather avoid close calls with them. It's funny, this one didn't bat an eyelid despite almost getting stood on and yet one earlier in the year was going mental when we were some distance away to the point I was thinking we'd have to go back because it was right at the start of a bridge and wouldn't let us passed :lol:

Looking for a new four-legged friend sounds like a great plan! I love being in the hills with my dog :D Even if she goes and lies down in the muddiest pools she can find!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Graeme D » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:00 am

Great wildlife shots - snakes, dogs and birds! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland