walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morning on Crogearraidh Mor

Morning on Crogearraidh Mor

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Crogearraidh Mòr (North Uist)

Date walked: 19/07/2018

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Between the Crogarry and Mairi
I started to descend
Loch Aonghais on my left hand side
I look across to Clett
Collies barking on the outrun
Dunlin dancing on the sand
Breakers show round Corran Vallique
And empty the Atlantic on the strand

Crogarry Mor is almost the smallest of the small hills of North Uist, but it was one of the ones that mattered most to me - Flower of the West has been one of my favourite songs for more than 20 years, and it's a song I often find myself walking to in my head. I'd failed to climb the hill on the way back from Maireabhal on Tuesday, and failed to get back from Harris in time to climb it on Wednesday, so by Thursday morning I was determined, and gave up a lie in to catch the 7:30 bus and get up there before the main outing of the day.

I could really have started from anywhere, but just by the junction there was a very steep ditch, so instead I walked along to where a short track leading up to a little mast gave me a start.

DSC06861.JPG
Little mast

A walk of two distinct parts - a climb finding a way through bumps and heather and long grass to reach the much steeper and rockier final part.

DSC06862.JPG
Summit in view

An obvious slanting route led up onto the final little crest, steep but not too steep - I had managed to meet it on one of its gentler sides, anyway.

DSC06865.JPG
Approaching the summit

Looking back I had the whole of the bay surrounding Orasaigh in view, a mix of sand and water, with Aird a' Mhorain running in behind from the left.

DSC06866.JPG
Looking over Orinsay

The summit is a little rocky crest - no particular cairn, but an obvious highest point. I was intrigued to find that the three Crogarries - Crogarry Mor, Crogarry Beag below it, and Crogearraidh na Thobha out to the east - were almost exactly in a line; I'm not sure if they are tall enough to use as seamarks, but it's possible.

DSC06871.JPG
Three Crogarries lined up

Out behind me I had the flat centre of the island, and the trio of rocky hills in the east.

DSC06872.JPG
Lee and Eaval

I descended as instructed in the song, down to the bealach with Maari to pick up the track which leads past Loch Aonghais to the road - a very much steeper way down, so that I was glad of the heather, and did some of it on my bottom anyway.

DSC06876.JPG
A steep descent

I'd have quite liked to climb Maari, but didn't really have time, and slanted down towards the start of the track.

Now I had the really classic view - Loch Aonghais, with its little island and reedbeds, to the left, the cluster of houses at Athmor with the tiny headland of Cleit behind, and Corran Vallique running in from the right, although with the tide halfway out and no breakers in sight.

DSC06878.JPG
The Runrig view

The track was mostly just a worn line, but made for easier walking just the same - out past the loch and through an assortment of gates to reach the road with plenty of time to wander along and pick up the second bus on its way to Lochmaddy.

DSC06881.JPG
Onto the track

The shore here continues the North Uist tradition of being never quite water and never quite land - I'm always fascinated by these in between places along the edge of the sea.

DSC06885.JPG
Wiggly shore

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Morning on Crogearraidh Mor

Postby hancar1 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:22 am

I love Flower of the West as much as you do, and I enjoyed your walk description. I will follow in your tracks next time I am over on Uist. It's one of my favourite places.
hancar1
Mountain Walker

Munros:72   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:55

Re: Morning on Crogearraidh Mor

Postby jmarkb » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:22 pm

Another fan of the song here - I remember having traced the places mentioned on the map, but it is great to see what is actually looks like - thank you!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland