walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal from Crianlarich - My First Munro!

An Caisteal from Crianlarich - My First Munro!

Postby Christo1979 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal

Date walked: 09/08/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 954m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I decided it was time to start my Munro journey, and had already opted to spend a day or two in Crianlarich, so I was spoiled for choice. With a mid-morning start, I planned to climb An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin as part of the one walk. Walking alongside the busy A82 out of Crianlarich, I made my way to the gate just past Keilator Farm, and walked through the bustling little building site rather than attempt the notoriously boggy woodland 'path'. Soon I was on the good track, making my way towards Sròn Gharbh, the impressive hill that needs to be climbed before you find yourself on the path to the Munros. The weather held out, and I got some nice views across Glen Falloch.

ImageViews from Sròn Garbh by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageOn the way up An Caisteal by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageTwistin Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

From Sròn Garbh I followed the clear path up along to Twistin Hill. A long path works its way along the knobbly hilltop, with superb views and the occasional scary drop for a novice like me, but it made for stunning walking. Soon, the rocky summit of An Caisteal appeared ahead of me, and I must admit I worried about how manageable it would be. Looked like scrambling territory to me :lol:

ImageScrambling near the summit of An Caisteal by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageLooking up at An Caisteal by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

My fears were actually well-founded. I did find the short scrambling sections tricky, and even more so because at one point I seem to have missed the obvious path over the top and found myself on what can only be described as a ledge to the left of the rocky 'obstacle', and the rock was slippery after all the rain we'd had. I ploughed-on and soon found myself at the summit of my first ever Munro, An Caisteal. The weather took a turn, and suddenly I found myself needing all the layers I had been carrying, sheltering from very strong wind, and losing visibility in the mist and rain. Perhaps to an experienced Munro bagger, this is all standard stuff. But I realised that, even prepared and planned as I was, it would take me longer than I had naively thought to get across to a second Munro. Erring on the side of caution, I retraced my steps (on the good path, this time!) and wound my way back down the way I had climbed.

ImageSummit Cairn, An Caisteal by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageAdmiring the views from Twistin Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Back at the hostel late that day, the guys I chatted to seemed impressed that I should have done An Caisteal in fairly bad weather as my first Munro, so I did feel a sense of achievement. At the same time, I felt a little disappointed, I decided to try again for a second Munro in the morning, but thunder and lightning were forecast, and I decided it would need to be another day.

However, just one Munro in, I can see that these are beautiful and majestic undertakings, and I completely see the obsession with climbing them. I can't wait to climb them all.
Last edited by Christo1979 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: An Caisteal from Crianlarich - My First Munro!

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Christopher - this is a great achievement. My first visit to An Caisteal, in bad weather, was challenging near the summit. There were three of us, all experienced walkers - we were glad to get away from the slippery rocky areas near the top.

It was also a good decision to head back down. Extending the walk over Beinn a'Chroin adds a lot. The connecting ridge between the two hills would be tricky in bad weather, and the descent path via Glen Falloch would be a quagmire in wet conditions.

Here is the route more recently, in nicer conditions - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80675

If you are back in that area, I also recommend Cruach Ardrain, by this route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81151 It is popular to go up through the forest instead, but I have heard that it is muddy, and unclear in places.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi Chris,

An Caisteal is a beautiful mountain with some exciting wee bits towards the summit if my memory serves me correctly?

Welcome to the club, and may your Munro journey bring you much joy, excitement and fulfilment. 8)
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:145   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Coop » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 pm

I remember going up An Casteal!!
Went all the way to the end of the track and cut up the steep hill between Sron Garbh and twistin hill.
Well done on your 1st munro- of many hopefully.
"Erring on the side of caution" isn't a bad thing, especially if the weather turns and your out yourself
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:59 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Christopher - this is a great achievement. My first visit to An Caisteal, in bad weather, was challenging near the summit. There were three of us, all experienced walkers - we were glad to get away from the slippery rocky areas near the top.

It was also a good decision to head back down. Extending the walk over Beinn a'Chroin adds a lot. The connecting ridge between the two hills would be tricky in bad weather, and the descent path via Glen Falloch would be a quagmire in wet conditions.

Here is the route more recently, in nicer conditions - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80675

If you are back in that area, I also recommend Cruach Ardrain, by this route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81151 It is popular to go up through the forest instead, but I have heard that it is muddy, and unclear in places.

Thank you! The walk in good conditions looks stunning, I'll certainly be returning. Talking of quagmires, I attempted to go off-piste in the Crianlarich woods the following day with a view to Fiarach, but was horrified at just how boggy these forests can get. It's all a navigation learning curve, I guess :shock:
Christo1979
Walker

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Dunblane Bagger wrote:Hi Chris,

An Caisteal is a beautiful mountain with some exciting wee bits towards the summit if my memory serves me correctly?

Welcome to the club, and may your Munro journey bring you much joy, excitement and fulfilment. 8)

Thanks for the friendly welcome! Yes, just near the summit there were some interesting moments, it was certainly a hands-on affair :lol: Even after just one Munro, I find I now resent all the time I'm NOT in the hills. I suspect all weekend plans in the near future will be put on hold to allow me to go back to Scotland!
Christo1979
Walker

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Coop wrote:I remember going up An Casteal!!
Went all the way to the end of the track and cut up the steep hill between Sron Garbh and twistin hill.
Well done on your 1st munro- of many hopefully.
"Erring on the side of caution" isn't a bad thing, especially if the weather turns and your out yourself

Thank you :) I agree, I'm finding all the walking so far is done on my own, and as they say the mountains will always be there tomorrow. I'm slightly in awe of the route you cut up to the top - it looked hellishly steep :shock:
Christo1979
Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:53 am

Christo1979 wrote:
HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Christopher - this is a great achievement. My first visit to An Caisteal, in bad weather, was challenging near the summit. There were three of us, all experienced walkers - we were glad to get away from the slippery rocky areas near the top.

Thank you! The walk in good conditions looks stunning, I'll certainly be returning. Talking of quagmires, I attempted to go off-piste in the Crianlarich woods the following day with a view to Fiarach, but was horrified at just how boggy these forests can get. It's all a navigation learning curve, I guess :shock:

Despite your iffy weather, your photos are great. The one of the An Caisteal summit cairn under that black brooding cloud is superb!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland