walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last 2 Drumochter munros

Last 2 Drumochter munros

Postby gld73 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:56 am

Route description: Beinn Udlamain and Sgàirneach Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Udlamain, Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 31/08/2018

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Ascent: 783m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been leaving these last 2 Drumochter munros for a winter walk, but I was driving from Inverness to Edinburgh and wanted to stop somewhere for a good walk in the decent weather. Didn't have enough time to do any of the ones from Glen Tilt I'd been planning, so decided I might as well do these two. Laybys 79 (at the start of the route) and 81 (larger one just along the cycle path) were on the wrong side of the road for my direction of travel, so I parked in layby 80 and crossed over. Weather was dry and a mixture of sun and cloud, started off wearing a t-shirt - windier and colder at the top though.

On the estate track approaching the hill, a fleet of 4WDs pulled up with a load of guys, guns and dogs .... fortunately they were heading off to shoot grouse on the north side of the track, whereas I was starting off on the south side, so they said I'd be fine.

This walk was the same as every other I do, in that I find the start of the footpath, and promptly lose it. Happened on the ascent up Sgairneach Mhor, where I started on the stalkers path heading diagonally up through the heather, lost it about a 3rd of the way, so then just headed up through the grass and heather myself, before meeting the clear trail again on the summit ridge. Nice walking terrain on the summit ridge, very low moss/grass, but had to put coat, hat and gloves on with the cold wind up there.

Decent views from the summit, then headed on the worn trail to the next target .... the worn trail which I promptly lost again (or stayed on the wrong one anyway, before realising I was overshooting the bealach and had to cut across). Again, easy terrain, and the good visibility meant I could clearly see where I was aiming for. Up the slopes of Beinn Udlamain, then the stony approach across the summit plateau following the line of old fence posts to the big summit shelter/cairn. Didn't take any good photos of Ben Alder as the BU plateau is too big and fills half the picture. So then I headed on as per the WH instructions, except contoured round one bit rather than heading the top of the 'bump' as I thought it would be a quicker descent - it sort of was, but only because I ended up heading down the extremely steep slope. So steep, I ended up having to go backwards on all fours and still felt like I was standing up. Nice terrain though (grassy then heather) so once I could turn round and go forwards down the steep heather, it was surprisingly quick and easier than I expected. Came out back on the estate track further W than the WH route for this walk, so then just headed all the way back to the car. The grouse shooters had moved on to the west side of the Sow Atholl by this time, so i had a clear walk back to the car.

Left car (layby 80) at 1143, 1st summit (SM) at 1324, 2nd summit (BU) at 1419, back at car at 1605.
Munros 83 and 84.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland