walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kelvin Walkway: Riverside Museum to Maryhill

Kelvin Walkway: Riverside Museum to Maryhill

Postby LucieK » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Route description: Kelvin Walkway: Glasgow to Milngavie

Date walked: 20/08/2018

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 130m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a spur of a moment decision, a part of exploring Glasgow on a first day of my vacation. I walked from the center of the city along the Clyde River to the Riverside Museum where I stopped for a while to explore the museum and the tall ship. And then I decided to walk the Kelvin Walkway (at least part of it) as a warmup for my Ben Lomond hike, planned for two days later, and an opportunity to test a ViewRanger hiking application on my phone.

The walk was very pleasant and relaxing - a sort of small oasis of greenery in a big city. It felt mostly like an easy walk in a park. As it was late afternoon, I met number of bikers (looked like people biking home from work), runners, walkers and dog walkers, but the path did not feel overcrowded. Since I started after 4 pm, I finished my walk in Maryhill and took the train back to Glasgow. Overall, it was quite enjoyable end to a day of Glasgow exploration.
Attachments
DSC00201editforWH.JPG
The River Kelvin south of Maryhill
DSC00174editforWH.JPG
Nearby the North Woodside Flint Mill site
DSC00065editforWH.JPG
The Riverside Museum and The Tall Ship

Following-Kelvin-Walkway--Glasgow-to-Maryhill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

LucieK
Walker

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Kelvin Walkway: Riverside Museum to Maryhill

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Good a wee warming-up explorer :clap:
Now the hills are calling ! :D :thumbup: but be aware that it's addictive and you can't stop then :D :wink: :lol:
All the Best and stay safe
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:27
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Kelvin Walkway: Riverside Museum to Maryhill

Postby LucieK » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:58 pm

[quote="Petr Dakota"]
Now the hills are calling ! :D :thumbup: but be aware that it's addictive and you can't stop then :D :wink: :lol:

You are right! It is addictive! I'm already planning to come back next summer and walk the West Highland Way. :lol:
LucieK
Walker

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland