walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Saddle Forcan Ridge and Sgurr na Sgine

The Saddle Forcan Ridge and Sgurr na Sgine

Postby David Lyall » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 29/08/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Still staying at the Dornie hotel, Steven hurt his knees yesterday so I’m tackling this one on my own. I parked and set of from the side of the road at 9.30 after a full cooked breakfast. The forecast was for showers. I followed the route on walkhighlands, the stalkers path was great and made a very enjoyable start to the day heading up at my own pace trying to go easy.
The Saddle looking down Glen Shiel.jpg

Eventually reaching the foot of the Forcan ridge it looked pretty impressive but I like scrambling so set of I was not so happy when I reached a part where I had to drop down about 10m,
looking back at a tricky bit of the Forcan Ridge.jpg

Forcan ridge heading for the Saddle.jpg

I think I scrambled down what they call a rake on the right hand side, after that it was on and up to the top with the cairn and then along to the trig point, pretty good views and mostly dry.
On to of the Saddle looking towards the trig point.jpg

Looking back at the ridge.jpg

But things were to change when I headed down to the bealach the wind picked up and the rain Came on I spent some time sheltering from the bloody weather for a while. Full weather gear on I headed for the second summit dumping my rucksack as soon as I knew I was on the return path, half an hour later I was on top of Sgurr an Signe, stayed for 10min at got some views through the cloud.
on top of Sgurr na Sgine.jpg

Then back to pick up the rucksack and on to the end of the ridge and the minor summit of Faochag which gave pretty good views but could have been with out so much cloud. The decent was very steep but started not to bad nearer the bottom the path was hideous wet muddy slippery when I got to the river I could not see a good way over so followed it down to the road more shitty mud but at least I never fell in the river. Finished about 5.45. Great start to the day but shitty end sums it up.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland