walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn

Bla Bheinn

Postby David Lyall » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 30/08/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 990m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set of from Dornie just after 9, my walking partner Steven was going to come along and walk part of the way because his knees were giving him bother, but a warning light came on in his car and he turned back. I had a nice run over to Skye and got parked up and set of at 10. The car park was quite only one other car. I followed the route on Walkhighlands and enjoyed the well made path and gentle start. Lovely stream at points which is crossed a couple of times further up.
Once I got to the grassy bowl of Fiona choire I had a sit down I noticed a couple who had carried straight on and would eventually walk straight up the far end, I also so a guy on his own headed up the route I would take it was not at first obvious, it look more like scree. I set of and it zig zagged up with bits more obvious than others.
another top on Bla Bheinn not attempted.jpg

There were a few very dramatic rock walls and great views before a bit of scrambling near the top. It had cloud when I arrived but I could see the other top so headed over there, which proved the hardest bit of scrambling.
on top Bla Bheinn before the cloud cleard.jpg

heading over to the other top of Bla Bheinn.jpg

I decided to have lunch and was rewarded with the clouds clearing and great views all round, the Cuillin ridge. Glen Sligachan, Island out to see all looked amazing. I spent about an hour then headed down and back to the car. Definitely one of my favourite days on the hills. Unlike yesterday there were a few people to talk to which made a difference.
Views out to sea from Bla Bheinn.jpg

Bla Bheinn cloud clearing.jpg

clouds clear  and The Cuillin Ridge appears.jpg
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland