walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav in the late summer sun

Ben Starav in the late summer sun

Postby maxie23 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 03/09/2018

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 1756m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On 25th July this year I completed the Cruachan Horseshoe walk.
One view in particular caught my attention.
Ben Starav from Ben Cruachan summit 1.jpg
Ben Starav and Loch Etive

Ben Starav and Loch Etive with the Glencoe hills behind, really impressive looking.
I had never visited Glen Etive before, although I had read plenty about it on Walk Highlands, so I added it too my places to visit before I die list.
It's a very long list, so fingers crossed.
The weather forecast for Monday 3rd September was very promising for Glencoe and the surrounding area and the decision was made to visit Glen Etive and Ben Starav.
Left Falkirk at 4 a.m. on a slightly misty and cold morning.
Arrived at Glencoe just after 6 a.m., with the dawn approaching through a clear sky.
Big Buachaille at 6 a.m. on a clear and cool pre dawn morning.jpg
Big Buachille on a clear and cool pre dawn morning

Turned left at the sign post and began the 10 mile drive down the single lane road through Glen Etive.
I must admit, the surface of this road was really excellent and although it was obviously a very twisty track, the 25 minute journey down was very enjoyable and the scenery was first class.
Arrived at the small parking place to find it occupied by a large camper van and a tent.
No probs, parked in the small off road space, not a passing place, opposite the gate at the start of the walk.
Temperature gauge in the car was showing 4 degrees and it felt it when I went outside.
Got suited and booted and spent a short while looking around and taking in the scenery, Wow.ImageBen Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor from roadside by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStob Coire Dheirg by robert irvine, on FlickrImageTwo Buachailles at dawn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBeinn Chaorach, I think by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Starav, sun coming up by robert irvine, on Flickr
Followed the W.H. route, down the track from the roadside and across the River Etive, luckily I was within the weight limit.ImageBridge over River Etive at start of walk by robert irvine, on FlickrImageRiver Etive from bridge by robert irvine, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aG4HmC]ImageRiver Etive, view downstream from bridge. by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then there is a boggy diversion around the white cottage.ImageMuddy diversion path by robert irvine, on FlickrImageWhite cottage, what an outlook by robert irvine, on Flickr
Join the path along the river again. What a morningImageRiver Etive in early light by robert irvine, on FlickrImageGlas Bheinn Mhor and Meal nan Tri Tighearnan by robert irvine, on Flickr
Over the small burn and then on to the bridge over the Allt Mheuran, lots of water flowing after yesterdays and last nights rain.ImageBridge over Allt mheuran by robert irvine, on Flickr
Following the burn uphill was a bit boggy at times but nothing too bad.ImageBen Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor from further up path by robert irvine, on FlickrImagePath up to ridge, steep and relentless by robert irvine, on Flickr
After half a kilometre, you take to the right when the path forks.ImageFork in path, turn right here by robert irvine, on Flickr
Really nice views from here on such a glorious morning.ImageGlencoe hills from start of ridge by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBidean nam Bian zoomed in by robert irvine, on Flickr
A bit steep and relentless from here on.ImageUp and up we go by robert irvine, on Flickr
You had to keep stopping and admiring the scenery, what a place in this kind of weather.ImageGlas Bheinn Mhor by robert irvine, on FlickrImageOn ridge, what a gorgeous sky by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBack to Glen Etive and Glencoe hills by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then I met this nice little fellow.ImageBird on ridge by robert irvine, on Flickr
Finally, the ridge leveled out slightly and the going became a bit easier for a while.
There was a nice gentle cooling breeze as the sun began to rise higher in the sky and the summit was coming nearer and nearer.ImageStarav, zoomed in, main summit right, secondary summit center and Stob Coire Dheirg right by robert irvine, on Flickr Image[/url]Getting there by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then it was into the boulder field for the final ( long ) pull up to the summitImageStart of boulder field by robert irvine, on FlickrImageRocky to summit by robert irvine, on Flickr
Clambering through all these boulders seems to stretch a lot of muscles and relieve the legs after a longish climb, or maybe it's just me.
I was wearing a video camera on this part of the climb, when I watched it back with the volume up it sounded like a 30 min obscene phone call with all the heavy breathing going on.
Now I know why people add a soundtrack to these videos.
Anyway, on to the summit and it really was picture postcard time.ImageSummit cairn, view towards Crianlarich by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCrianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Cruachan group and Loch Etive, picture postcard time by robert irvine, on FlickrImageAcross Loch Etive by robert irvine, on FlickrImageGlencoe hills from summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBidean nam Bian zoomed in (2) by robert irvine, on FlickrImageNorth East from summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSmall Buachaille by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStart of Loch Etive by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView down to Stob Coire Dheirg with Glas Bheinn Mhor behind by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSummit cairn with Glencoe hills behind by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSummit cairn to Glen Etive by robert irvine, on Flickr
I sat for quite a while, just chilling out, what more could you ask for.
Met one other walker on the summit.
I left before him, but he passed me on the summit ridge, how can you hurry on such a day.ImageView down Coire an Firh Leith by robert irvine, on Flickr
On to the secondary cairn.ImageTrue summit from secondary by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSecondary summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView to Beinn nan Aighenan by robert irvine, on Flickr
There is a bit of a steep drop down from the cairn to the ridge, on a slippery scree path.
Take a bit of care here.ImageView off summit ridge to Stob Coire Dheirg by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then it's along the ridge to Stob Coire Dheirg.
You can either clamber along the rocks on the top, or use the bypass path on the right, it's up to you.ImageRocky ridge to Stob Coire Dheirg, with by pass path on right by robert irvine, on Flickr
At the end of the ridge, with a nice view down Coire Dearg,ImageView down Coire Dearg by robert irvine, on Flickr
you come across a large rocky outcrop which is the top of Stob Coire Dheirg.ImageView up to Stob Coire Dheirg top by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView back to Ben Starav from Stob Coire Dheirg by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView back up to summit, zoomed. Hi who ever you are by robert irvine, on Flickr
The route over the top did not appeal to me, so I chickened out and took the path round and down to the bealach.ImageBealach back to Ben Starav by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBealach to Meall nan Tri Tighearnan and Glas Bheinn Mhor by robert irvine, on Flickr
At one stage, the plan was to include Beinn nan Aighenan on today's walk, but now it seemed a fair bit of a trek there and back.
So, decision made, up the broad grassy ridge to the top of Meall nan Tri Tighearnan.ImageSummit Meall nan Tri Tighearnan to Glas Bheinn Mhor by robert irvine, on FlickrImageSummit Meall nan Tri Tighearnan to Glencoe hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall nan Tri Tighearnan to Ben Starav by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall nan Tri Tighearnan to Ben Cruachan group by robert irvine, on FlickrImageMeall nan Tri Tighearnan to Ben Lui by robert irvine, on Flickr
From here it is a short climb on a still broad ridge to the flat and rounded top of Glas Bheinn Mhor, today's second munro.
Still fantastic views as there had been all day.
Not much wind up here now and it was pleasantly warm.ImageGlas Bheinn Mhor summit cairn to Glencoe hills and beyond. by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Nevis center of photo by robert irvine, on FlickrImageGlas Bheinn Mhor to Stob Coir an Albannaich by robert irvine, on FlickrImageDescent path from Glas Bheinn Mhor by robert irvine, on Flickr
It was here that I met Graeme, a member of Perth Hillwalking club.
He had traveled up the day before, with members of his club, and climbed Meall nan Eun and Stob Coir an Albannaich, the other two munros in this group of five, in really atrocious weather.
While descending down Coire Odhar,ImageCoire Odhar by robert irvine, on Flickr
which is also the descent route today, you are advised to follow the path on the right of the Allt Mheuran all the way down to the River Etive.
However, Greame's group encountered really boggy and swampy conditions as they approached the wooded area towards the end of the walk.
He suggested crossing the Allt Mheuran about halfway down the Coire and joining a path on the left side, which he had seen yesterday, and follow this down until it joined up with the ascent path, therefore avoiding the swamp.
You can see from my route map where we crossed over and followed the other path down, with dry feet.
Big up to Greame, hope you got on ok the following day with your next two munros.
Pleasant enough walk down.
Really enjoyed this walk.
Special mention to the Ben Cruachan group of mountains, I just could not stop taking photos of them, glad we live in an age of digital photography, I would have ran out of film very quickly otherwise, it just seemed such a perfect view every time I looked in that direction.
What a day, great weather and fantastic scenery.

Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor 3 sep 2018.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland