walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Maol Chaluim

Beinn Maol Chaluim

Postby Coop » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Maol Chaluim, from Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Date walked: 07/09/2018

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 844m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good to be back over this side.
Bad to be back amongst the "ferns!!" - not too bad if I'm hinest
Worth it for the view over to Starav and loch Etive- fantastic
I remember My 50th munro well
Cant believe thats now 50 Corbetts- unbelievable. I suppose the further you go on in your hillwalking it's not all about Munro summits. It's about getting out there and getting the views, keeping hill fitness up, enjoying and taking it all in, going back to an area you enjoyed.
I can see that this may be tricky in the Mist up to the 848 point. As the good book says- keep left on the way up. There's a couple of grassier bits to aim for. One slightly right with some scree and one further left - the one I took.
So far great views all the way up and now for the view id been waiting for BIDEAN- and what did i get " Mist!!."
Typical!!
It showed it's monstrous side and ravines/gulleys once or twice.
Up to the the cairn(s). Jacket on, pieces out and waited ..... and waited ..... and after 20 minutes I waited no more, and headed back the way I came.
One treat on the way down, a deer was sat amongst the ferns munching away - no more than 10 feet away. I stood and watched and took a few photos. It never moved. Looked at me once of twice and carried on.
Had a look at Stob Dubh and Beinn Mhic Chasgaig as they're on the radar.
Enjoyed today. Glen Etive is fantastic as are the views from the slopes of Beinn Maol Chaluim.
Cheers
Coop
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:114
Grahams:48   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland