walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Coinnich: Kevin returns

Carn na Coinnich: Kevin returns

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na Coinnich

Date walked: 19/08/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 614m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Three weeks after an unfortunate abdominal injury, Kevin told me he was ready to face the hills again. A bit reluctant to let him out on any Munros, I suggested climbing an easy local Graham, Carn na Coinnich. We had been there before and I described our previous visit in my blog. Yet it was a good short route for a recovering walker.
Glen Strathconon is one of my favourite local glens, second only to Glen Affric and much quieter, no long cues of tourists and countless cars parked on the verge of the road (when the Affric car park is full). Glen Affric is good in winter and generally out of season, when the "just-visiting-for a few photos" crowds go back home and leave the glen to deer, midges and a few wandering locals :lol: Glen Strathconon is never that busy (maybe due to lack of Munros to climb) and very few people walk the Grahams and Corbetts in this area. But this corner of the Highlands has its special charm and now, on the doorstep of autumn, it is a perfect place for panthers :D
Because we still were not sure, how much Kevin could do on his first post-injury outing, we didn't plan anything long and original, just a walk to the summit and back the same way. There is a good track almost to the very top and views are nice even from lower down. The only disadvantage of this route at the moment are KEDS. BLOODY KEDS!!! It's purely stalking estate grounds, deer are encouraged to live long and prosper, so no wonder keds are about in abundance.

Track_CARN NA COINNICH 19-08-18.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked by a large wooden gate in Bridgend, just before the bridge over River Meig and got booted for the walk - I was eager to stretch my paws!
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 001.JPG

After about 1km of walking along the estate road, we turned up a rough track and started gaining height. We liked the views across the glen to Sgurr a' Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan. We used to come here to Strathconon more often in the first years of our hillwalking together, but recently, obsessed with ticking Munros of the list, we neglected it a bit. it was nice to see the familiar hills again :D
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 005.JPG

As I said, the track goes up to the height of 600m:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 008.JPG

The track is rough and a bit eroded in places, but generally dry:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 013.JPG

Good views from the early stages:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 011.JPG

We took a steady pace. Kevin said he could still feel the injury a little but it was much better than the week before. As long as he didn't twist and turn abruptly, he was fine.
Panther enjoying the first touch of autumn:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 017.JPG

It didn't take us long to reach the summit area - the trig point is visible from the track:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 027.JPG

But before we reached the summit, we had to cross this:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 030.JPG

Thankfully, the ocean of peat hags was mostly dry and after a few minutes of hopping and jumping, we climbed the final 70m to the trig point. It was a repeat Graham for us both, but a new one for our wee companion (she celebrated a round number of 75 Grahams climbed!).
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 041.JPG

It was a nice, sunny afternoon, if a bit breezy and the wind had a chilly edge, but we had plenty of time and agreed, if we had already come up here, we'd stay for some time and enjoy the first touches of autumn.
Kevin posing with the trig:
DSCF1872.JPG

We're back! Hoooray! Panther in a moment of madness!
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 052.JPG

Loch Gruamach and the two Corbetts across the glen:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 031.JPG

View east with Orrin Reservoir to the right hand side:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 038.JPG

The Strathfarrar Munros:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 042.JPG

Fannichs zoomed:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 021.JPG

Beinn Eighe zoomed:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 047.JPG

Liathach zoomed:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 048.JPG

Some panoramic snaps:
DSCF1880.JPG

DSCF1883.JPG

DSCF1884.JPG

We sat down by the trig point and enjoyed a hot cup of tea and biscuits, glad to be up on high ground again. Maybe it was just a short outing, but we really needed it. Hillwalking is seriously addicting. Once you've caught the bug, your life will never be the same again!
Back on the track, looking north:
2018-08-19 carn na coinnich 071.JPG

We returned the same way. Kevin was not yet in a shape to prolong the walk by visiting the outlying tops (next time we will for sure). On the way down, we were in a very good mood until we descended about 2/3 the distance. Suddenly, a large swarm of keds attacked us. We spent the rest of the walk plucking them out of our hair, skin and clothes. For the first time in my life, I was bitten by two of these b*****ds. It seems that keds will bite a human if they are desperate enough. :sick:
We returned home and I treated the bitten areas on my arms with antihistamine cream. They turned into red, swollen lumps and itched like mad for five or six days, but as I kept them clean and tried my best not to scratch, they did eventually disappear. Comparing to midge bites, much larger and much more itchy, but I guess, it all comes with the territory :lol: The summer of 2018 was very bad for blood sucking horseflies and it looks like the autumn of 2018 is going to be bad for keds. Hopefully not bloodsucking too often!
My next story, another step in Kevin's recovery, will see us meeting a pretty Miss Meggy :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Carn na Coinnich: Kevin returns

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Here's wishing Kevin a speedy recovery, hope he is soon back to full strength
Your pictures over to Torridon were beautiful
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland