walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

GLEN EANAICH

GLEN EANAICH

Postby blueyed » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Date walked: 21/07/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

this is a report of a walk i did in summer 2009.
after a rather wet day on cairngorm (never managed to reach ben macdui due to pouring rain and mist) and rather sleepless night at loch an eilean (howling fox and other wild but curious animals) we got up, had a quick breakfast (VERY hungry midges around) and set off to glen eanaich.
the plan was just to have this rather longish walk to loch eanaich and back the same way, about 24km.
the day was really nice, warm and sunny therefore the walk was very enjoyable.
at first we walked thru rothiermurchus forest (plenty of eadable wild mushrooms) with nice wee lochan (where we had a wee picnic). after we passed the forest line the walk was very exposed (really hot day!) with great views to braeriach, sgor gaoith and sgoran dubh mor.
to make it short, finaly we didnt reach loch eanaich, i think we decided to come back when we were about 20-30mins walk from the loch, but adventures from previous day and the night combined with sheer sunshine and perspective of 3hrs drive back to edi helped us make this decision. after all, when we finaly arrived to edi i was so exhausted that i felt i was unable to drive even a mile more.
the walk was nice, it was just me... not fresh enough :) definitely will go back and reach the loch :)
and here are some pics...

and here are some more :) http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2009/08/cairngorms-glen-eanaich.html
Attachments
DSC_2839.jpg
rothiemurchus estate
DSC_2842.jpg
wee lochan
DSC_2854.jpg
DSC_2870.jpg
the glen
DSC_2873.jpg
DSC_2883.jpg
sgor gaoith, sgoran dubh mor
DSC_2885.jpg
towards the loch
DSC_2889.jpg
exhausted
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: GLEN EANAICH

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:49 pm

hi blueeyed
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Gleann Einich - it's one of my favourite routes (by bike) albeit that the weather can vary drammatically. The solitude of Loch Einich can be fantastic.

But.....I'd recommend you try cycling it next time :D
everytrail - gleann einich
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 am

Yeah I want to hire a mountain bike and cycle up it next time I'm there in spring or summer :lol:
mountain coward

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 am

we're up there end July/early August - might see you around :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby blueyed » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 am

i enjoued the walk but i fund it rather boring as the path is pretty flat most of the time and the views dont really change too much. definitely cycling would be more challenge and fun!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Grahams:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland