walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi, Stank Glen circuit

Ben Ledi, Stank Glen circuit

Postby iainR » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 08/09/2018

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 9.61 km

Ascent: 801m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather forecast not looking great for late afternoon and a pair of new boots to break in i wanted a reasonably straightforward hill circuit which didn't involve a slog therefore Ben Ledi sprung to mind.
As i drove into Callander and looked up at Ben Ledi i noticed the upper slopes were still covered in morning clag which didn't appear to be moving. Arriving at the main walkers carpark just after 9am i found it still mostly vacant with no-one around in fact i didn't pass anyone until i reached the southern ridge of the hill.
My last ascent of Ben Ledi was just over a year ago and back then i'd noticed a newly constructed path which completely bypassed the old eroded one which had been damaged by landslips beneath the crags. Further up on the ridge this new path continued over the bogs making the ascent of the hill from this route completely bog free, a new experience for me !
1 Looking back towards Loch Lubnaig__.jpg
Looking back towards Loch Lubnaig

2 Ascending the southern ridge__.jpg
Ascending the southern ridge

On reaching the small rise beneath the final route to the summit i noticed the temperature had dropped quite a bit and the clag had receded but still clung to the top so there would be no views today.
The summit itself was deserted and with nothing to look at i quickly made my way down the northern ridge towards Bealach nan Corp occasionally getting a glimpse of the steep drop into Stank Glen.
3 Final push to the summit__.jpg
Final push to the summit

4 Memorial cross__.jpg
Memorial cross

5 Summit of Ben Ledi__.jpg
Summit of Ben Ledi

6 Looking down to Stank Glen__.jpg
Looking down to Stank Glen

The new boots made easy work of the wet and narrow stoney path followed by the wet grass and bogs enroute to the top of the glen and soon i gained the gravel path which leads down the length of Stank Glen and into the forestry.
The track down through the trees passed over areas of recent clear fell but efforts had been made to keep the path intact and it can still be easily followed all the way down to the access road at Loch Lubnaig.
7 Entering Stank Glen__.jpg
Entering Stank Glen

8 Clear fell in the glen__.jpg
Recent clear fell at the foot of Stank Glen

9 Waterfall near the paths end__.jpg
Waterfall near the end of the path

On returning to the carpark i found it full to capacity and had to wait to get out, what a difference 3 hours here makes !
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland