walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Swirl How ,Lakes

Swirl How ,Lakes

Postby tango » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:26 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Grey Friar, Harter Fell (Southern Fells), Swirl How, Wetherlam

Hewitts included on this walk: Black Sails, Grey Friar, Harter Fell (Southern Fells), Swirl How, Wetherlam

Date walked: 20/11/2010

Time taken: 8.75

Distance: 27 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started at 0800 hours at the car park grid 289970,left the camper van followed the road down hill to Scrow beck used the footpath & headed northish to grid 293985,followed the paths pasted the old mines,onto Red dill a steep climb up to Lower Hows,quick breather. Then onto Wetherlams summit,Black Sails,Swirl How,then onto Grey Friars for lunch & a quick phone call!! headed down to Dale farm through the boulder fields & snow, onto the metalled road followed that south to the car park at grid 235996,jumped onto the forestry tracks & signs up onto Harter Fell, another steep climb!!! that path is a killer!! :shock: .another break needed it!, south west off Harter fell down to the forest, Grassguard,Fickle crag across the river via some rather wet & slippery stepping stones!!, footpath to the Walna scar road up & over back to the van. finished at 1645 hours, Going- good views all day a few steep climbs,my walking buds were the mutts Riffs,Ludo & Tic Tac.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by tango on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tango

Re: Swirl How ,Lakes

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:08 am

Thats a good walk Tango, our gang stay at The Birks, you passed it as you left Harter Fell, if you search my posts you will be able to see the weekend we were snowed in :shock:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby tango » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Cheers Susan, i did see some sort of farm house before my steep ascent of Harter fell, ill have a look at your reports when i get back from my run! cheers
tango

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Ive never walked in the S/W corner of the Lakes, not really sure why - probarbly as a younger lad I would always head for the Borrowdale area amd the higher peaks. having said that, now I'm older and have a young family I might be tempted by the lower fells for sumer walks with the family :?

Its always a dilema when you have a bit of free time - spend it scrambling around yourself or strolling with the kids
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland